this may be a stupid question, but can or do hampsters hybernate?

The reason I am asking is we got a hampster back in April from a pet store. He is a good hampster and everything he doesn't get out of his cage lilke most hampsters do lol. But anyway last night I knowtest he was acting a little funny like he was in my hands and his eyes were almost closed like he was tired. He was trying to eat with his eyes closed and then today he is breathing and everything, but he wont wake up his eyes are closed if you wake him up he will move, but that is it his eyes are closed and he is breathing what is wrong with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pets

• I don't believe so. He'd need to be reacting to colder temps and less food source and neither exists in his little world

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• a friend of mine had an issue with her hampster last year and found out that they do in fact have an instinct to hybernate if they get cold. Her cage was near a window and causing him to shut down for "winter" she moved his cage to a warmer area in the house and he was much more active :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• actually I think it is pretty cold in my house. I ware my rob all the time because I am freezing we leave the temp to 70 here, but we have a pretty big house so it is still chilli in the house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Cold would be temps close to freezing,not 70

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• thanks everyone, but I was holding it trying to warm it up and that isn't what was wrong with it. It ended up throwing up blood for some reason then it died. So now m daughter is very upset. But DH asked if they can hibernate so I thought I would ask. Since it was cold when I picked it up, but I guess it was dying. Thank you everyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I'm not sure
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2010