Sleeping Habits

My baby is 8 weeks old and weighs around 9.5 lbs. She keeps waking up at night every 2 hours and for the naps during the day, she sleeps for 20 minutes and then starts crying. I read the BabyWise book and currently reading healthy sleep habits, happy child..nonetheless i am really struggling to apply all these techniques to put the baby down for sleep. I am breastfeeding her and trying to put her on a 3 hrs schedule but she is always crying and so i feed her every 2-2.5 hours and at night i just breastfeed her whenever she cries..she only takes 1 breast and sucks for 10 minutes maximum. Does anyone have any recommendations? I started to let her cry it out a bit when i put her in the crib but if she cries too loudly, i go and check on her..i know i am not supposed to do that but i get stressed when i hear her cry so loudly. this is my second child and i thought it would get easier but it is not. Thanks in advance.
Rachel

rah20

Asked by rah20 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This sounds normal to me. my dd woke up to eat every 2.5 hours until she was about 3 months old. IMO 8 weeks is just a little too young for CIO.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have 4 boys, all half grown now, but each of them as babies the first 3 or 4 months woke up every 3 hours to eat , not only at night but through the day as well. 3 out of four of the boys did not eat more than 5-10 minutes at a time before falling asleep only to wake up again 2-3 hours later.

It does take some kids extra time to get on a sleeping shedule , it is tough , I feel for you.

Don't feel bad about checking on her often, she is too young to spoil. do what you can to get enough rest while going through this period. No matter how many kids you have or how experienced you are , each new baby will have new challenges.

GreenCWAHM

Answer by GreenCWAHM at 8:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• At 8 weeks that is a normal time stretch for eating. Maybe you are eating something that is upsetting her tummy? IDK my second son has a wheat allergy and was on part goats milk for a time. I BF for the first 4 months then had to stop because I couldn't pin point what was bothering him. Once he was old enough to eat a piece of bread, when I gave him wheat toast he broke out in hives immediately just from touching it. And everything I ate had wheat in it....imagine how his system felt :( Yes that is a drastic example, but made sense why he was so fussy and had such bad excema while I was BF. But at 8 weeks they are still learning about the environment around them. I never could do the CIO method at that early of an age. You do what feels right for you, I believe a baby, especially that young, needs to feel secure. You can't spoil a baby that young IMO
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Throw away the books. They are useless and filling your head with unreasonable expectations.

Nurse as often and as much and she wants... be it every 45 minutes, or every 3 hours... let HER dictate the feeding schedule. This goes for nighttime too. She just went from being fed 24 hours around the clock and now you're trying to limit her to a certain time period and it's obvious that it's not working for her.

Some babies are easy and only eat every three hours and put themselves to sleep and sleep all night. Some aren't. I assure you, the first variety may be easier to deal with as a baby, but they're all special. My high need infant was a MUCH easier toddler than my easy baby... he's a little hellion of a toddler and I'd wake every 2 hours for over a year if only I could have an easy toddler again! haha... we'll see what the future holds. I've found that there are rewards for every trying period in life.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010