Should my daughter call my fiance' daddy?

My daughter is almost 4 years old and calls my fiance' daddy. He has been in her life since she was 1 1/2 and treats her like his own. Her biological father didn't get in her life till she was 2 and even then only saw her a couple hours a week. My daughter started calling my fiance' daddy around the time she turned 3. My ex HATES it especially cause she only calls him "dad" if he corrects her when she calls him by his name. I don't teach her to call him "daddy" but she does and I don't stop her, I also don't correct her when she calls her biological dad by his name. I should also mention that her biological father enlisted in the Army about a year and a half ago and has only seen her once since then and almost never calls. Am I wrong for allowing her to call my fiance' daddy?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• If she wants to call him daddy it is up to her. She is calling him daddy because she feels like he fills that role in her life. Your ex may be her father but your fiance is a daddy to her. I don't think that you should discourage it, but you may need to explain it to your ex. Congratulations on your engagement!
    BJN2in10

Answer by BJN2in10 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My son wanted to call my DH daddy. Since I didn't want to cause issues with my ex, I had him pick a special nickname for my DH.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• As long as she understand he is not her father then go right ahead and call him whatever she wants. In my book any man can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a dad.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• no, she knows what is right
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Any man can be a dad but it takes a real man to be a father(daddy). He earned it he deserves it. And apperntly your daughter sees that. I think its okay as long as it was not tought or forced. My girls do the same thing w my SO and their biodad was absent for 3 yrs and he thought he had a right to get mad and I quickly corrected him. Its my girls choice!
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 8:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My children call their step father dad, daddy, and they each have individual nicknames for him...it all depends on their mood it is perfectly normal
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010