Do you follow the recommended age guidelines for movies and games?

My DS is 12 (just turned) and I allow him to play rated T games (teens) but all his friends play M games (mature), even our 5 y/o neighbor. Do you allow your kids to view things that they are supposed to be too young for according to the ratings agency?

Jojo907

Asked by Jojo907 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I stick to the guidelines for the most part. Sometimes, I will not watch my littler ones watch something that is rated appropriate for them because I don't think it is good for them. On the other hand, there are some movies which I allow my younger teenagers to watch as long as they are supervised because they have a good message or they can start good discussions. None of my children are allowed to play video rated M or T. We keep all of our games family-friendly.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 9:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We don't really censor our kids.  They just started playing my husband's x-box this fall (they are 10, 9, 8 and 4) and their favorite games are Grand Theft Auto and some 1st person shooter war game.  Well, that is until my 9yo son discovered Madden.  Now he just wants to play football all the time.

They aren't going out murdering people.  They know it's just a game and that it's wrong to hurt people.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• yes we do...if we didnt our 12 yr old son would be a total mess right now and out of control...he is hard to deal with as it is ...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I tried to, but my son just played all the teen and mature games at friends houses. I gave up. He's 15 now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope, never. We don't believe in sheltering our children... If they want to watch it or play it and they aren't breaking any law by doing so, we don't see anything wrong with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I try too..I will look & read the items first
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I won't let him watch stuff that I think will give him nightmares or that has nudity and sex, but other than that, I don't censor a whole lot.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010