Am I wrong

My brother and sister in law recently moved back in with my parents. I have told my mom that my children would NOT be over there anymore without me or my husband present. I do not trust or like my brother or his wife, and I really don't want their child to hurt my kids because they refuse to watch him and laugh when he hits people. My mom is hurt because she hasnt seen the kids since halloween, but I dont feel comfortable around them. I told her she could come to my house after work but she wont do that. So am I wrong about this? Should I just be the bigger person and go over there regardless that they are there? When we went halloween night my brother and his wife werent there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• I dunno. I think there's a point to be made there. Why won't your mother make an effort to come visit at your house? Why is it always all or nothing with some grandparents? I agree that if you are there, you can "monitor", but it's sad that it has to come down to that. I'm afraid it sounds like a no-win situation there, because 1) you don't feel you're children are safe if you visit there, so you'll always have your guard up, and that's not a relaxing visit for anyone, and 2) if you don't visit...YOU are the one keeping your kids away from Grandma (that's what they'll think.....). Good luck with your dilemma, but I happen to think that Mommy knows best and whatever you decide will have your children's best interest at heart.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you are there with your child I don't see a problem with going over there. Maybe your kids can be a good example for theirs.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 9:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would be the bigger person and make an effort to make your way over there. You can make sure you little ones are not hit and they will get to see their Grandma.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Even if you are present with your children you can not dicipline their child/children, it is not your place to do that so you will still feel the anxiety and fear of your children being hurt. I would try and set up a schedule for the grandparents so you can be there and feel safe and comfortable. Why should you feel uncomfortable visiting your parents? I personally would do what I can to see my parents when the others are not there just for my own comfort...but that is my opinion on the matter...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 9:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010