at how many months does the baby go from the infant seat to the car seat?

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it depends on your carseat and your personal preference. If you are asking about when they grow out of the infant seat it is either when they reach the weight limit or have 1 inch of the shell (the hard plastic part of the seat under the cover) left above their head. Dont worry if the feet hang over that end, that doesnt matter and your baby probably will just prop their feet on the back of the seat. If you prefer not to carry the infant seat anymore you can either just leave it in the car like a convertible or get a convertible seat that rear faces and then front faces. The American Academy of Pediatrics is now recommending that children stay rear facing until at least 2 and 30lbs.

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We switched both of my kids around 6-7 months, to a rear-facing 5 pt harness instead of the infant car seat. Sorry, but when you have a six month old that weighs over 20 pounds like both of my kids, there's no way I am able to lug them around in the infant seat!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• 1 year...there is a weight requirement as well
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• legally, they need to be rear facing until a year. But it is highly recommended that you do it longer. You also need to be careful about the weight limit on an infant seat. Some infant car seats only hold up to 20 or so pounds. In this case you need to get a bigger rear facing car seat. They do make convertible car seats that can go from birth to four years old.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• When they outgrow it. My first son outgrew his at 6 months because he was too long even though he only weighed 16 lbs. My daughter fit it for almost a year because she was tiny. (My first seat only went up to 20 lbs and 26 in.) For my 3rd baby I got the Snugride 32 so he could fit it longer, but even so he will never reach the weight limit before he reaches the height limit. I'm guessing, based on my older son that he will fit it until he is about 15 months. If I had this seat for my daughter she would have fit until she was 2. All that matters is the height/weight limit on the seat.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My daughter is almost 15 months and she's still in her infant seat. She could very well fit in it for another 3 or 4 months. However, my mom is getting her a convertible seat for Christmas, so she only has about a month and a half left it in.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I took dd out of her infant seat when she started to sit up. Once she could sit up good on her own, she would not tolerate the reclined seat lol. So I put her in a rear facing car seat.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• There's no set age for infant carriers. You can move to a rear facing convertible seat at any point, or when baby outgrows the carrier. RF to at LEAST 1 and 20 lbs, preferably longer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2010