Do you think you are better than other mom's because you breastfeed?

I've seen so many other mom's on here talk as if they are better than everyone just because they breastfeed their children. Breastfeeding your child does NOT make you a good mother or a better mother than anyone else. Raising your child with love, patience, respect, responsibility, and kindness towards others is what makes you a good mother. Some of the worst mothers I've ever known breastfed and I'm so sick of FF mom's getting bashed on here. Who cares if they didn't wanna try to breastfeed. It's their choice and not yours.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Ok, I'll be honest.....and won't go anony like some chickens on other posts;)

I do catch myself feeling better than others. That's mean and I'm glad I've been reading alot on CM. I don't know the BFNazis as referred to, but that's funny! I figure there are alot of areas I can work on in parenting that others may have together. Who am I to judge. I don't know everyone that bottlefeeds. Just going off the ones I have known personally, and they always seemed to be the moms in a hurry to get on with their own lives again. The bottle propping, etc..... But while fostering, I got to enjoy the cuddles and eye contact that can happen while bottle feeding a baby and reteaching them to bond and attatch.

So I'm sorry. Here's my public apology to knock it off, and get off my pedestal about Breast feeding. Thanks for the reminder;)
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 2:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My biggest grievance is with moms breastfeeding came easy for. Its not like that for everybody. I worked sooo hard to make BFing worked, but the deck was just too stacked against us. I am one of the most stubborn people on the face of the earth, never "quit" at anything, and i cannot stand BFing moms who take the attitude that moms who don't stick with breastfeeding "didn't try hard enough."
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• WHOO HOO YOU TELL EM MAMA!!
    BUMP!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not at all. I feel very blessed to be able to breastfeed my son. It makes me feel good inside. I'm not here to judge how anyone feeds their child... as long as they ARE feeding them.
    ZaisMum

Answer by ZaisMum at 11:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't think that breastfreeding moms are superior to formula feeding moms.....I DO think breastfeeding is better for babies and mamas than formula feeding though. I also think that women need to quit being so critical of each other......and more supportive.....for example, although I think breastfeeding is better for babies and moms, all three of mine were formula fed, and for very good reasons that I won't bore you with here....and I assume other moms who formula feed have their reasons, also. And I can assume they are good mothers who love their children who are imperfect just as I am an imperfect mother who loves my children...there is no such thing as one size fits all mothering, and we need to understand that and get along....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i dont.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• no, i don't worry about other people or try to compare myself to them. i take care of my kids and try to be the best mom i can be. i could give a crap about other people (well, obviously i care if they're abusing them, but i don't consider feeding them formula to be abuse lol). i ebf 2 of my kids for over a year and the other one i did for 3 months but he was a little early and had some problems so he had to go on formula.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Amen mama! :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• popcorn

I totally agree with you, but this topic usually opens a can of worms.....

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i didnt breast feed..but i do think i'm a better mom when i see kids that don't show the four things you listed ...patience, respect, responsibility, and kindness towards others. I know i've done a better job anyways.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010