For those of you who use FAM or any fertility awareness natural method:

How long did it take you to get pregnant once you started charting, what all did you chart, and how? and what day of your cycle did you ovulate and how long was your cycle typically? how long did it take to notice a regular cycle pattern?

Baby309

Asked by Baby309 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• We used FAM as contraception forever. We were able to get pregnant in one try.

I had 28 day cycles and would ovulate on day 14 late at night. I could feel my egg release. I always got a cramping session. I did not chart. I just checked cervical mucus
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have used FAM for 11 years now. It works great!
    So, I have conceived 5 times this way and each time only took 1 cycle.
    I have also prevented pregnancy this way (obviously)
    My cycles are 28 days long.
    I ovulate on CD 18
    I started out doing BBT and OPKs' but quickly switched to just OPK's while TTC. I simply charted my cycle dates when NOT TTC.
    I noticed a pattern by month 2. :) Been consistent for 11 years.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I've used FAM for birth control for 3 years and used it twice to concieve. I got pregnant with both kids on the first cycle.

I chart cervical mucus, cervical position and BBT. I followed the guidelines in the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and refer back to it often when I have questions. I use www.fertilityfriend.com to chart online.

I ovulated on Day 22 of my cycle (tend to have long cycles) with my DD and Day 20 with my DS. My cycles are typically 41-45 days long.

I noticed a patten by month two. It's very rewarding to know my body and not have so much guessing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I also wanted to add that I do NOT recommend switching to OPKs when TTC. That really seems like a huge waist of money and time when you could just do your daily charting, know exactly when your ovulating and exactly when you should test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think the best way to determine ovulation is The Billings Method. This method is one of the most accurate natural methods because you determine ovulation by vaginal secretions. It also has certain days that require you to abstain from sexual intercourse. I teach this method and my patients have had pretty good results with it.

www.womensvirtualhealth.com
    PreemieHUG

Answer by PreemieHUG at 3:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I started out charting basal body temp, cervical mucus, and cervical position, then switched to just BBT when we decided not to try conceiving at that time. I noticed a pattern within the first couple of cycles. I say cycles and not months because my periods have always been irregular, anywhere from 24-78 days. My luteal phase also has not been like clockwork; it ranges from 10-14 days, averaging about 12. It took a year of not trying not to get pregnant to get pregnant with our first; charting didn't really have much to do with it except to tell me that I was pregnant. When we started trying with our second, I charted CM in addition to BBT, and we were pregnant after 3 months.

I also recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and the website FertilityFriend.com.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• turns out i'm pregnant! won't be needing birth control for 9 months lol just found out yesterday
    Baby309

Comment by Baby309 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010