My milk suppy is starting to show signs that it is diminishing. Is there anything i can do to up the productivity of my milk supply?

Its only been about a month and i produce less and less during the pumpings between feedings while he sleeps. he will feed then 2 hrs later i pump while he is sleeping to try and keep it up and stock up on supply for returning to work

babymomma101110

Asked by babymomma101110 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump more often, for longer. The more stimulation your breasts get, the more milk they'll produce. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If it were me, I wouldn't be pumping between feedings. I would wait until he feeds, the pump off the excess. That way you aren't shorting him 2 hours later and you will be stimulating your breasts to produce more by increasing the demand at the feeding.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Your supply is just adjusting. From 4-6 weeks your supply will regulate and go from producing more than baby needs, to producing exactly what baby needs. If you're pumping anything at all, you're already producing more than you really need.

I wouldn't pump quite so much or you're going to be in pain when you go back to work! Just nurse him and pump once a day or so to stash away... then, when you go back to work you will pump when he would have normally nursed and get enough for his feedings the next day. Keep the backup stash for growth spurts and emergencies.

Remember that he only needs enough to get him through the day until you get home... He shouldn't be taking huge amounts of milk during the day. Limiting his intake while you are separated will allow you to realistically keep up with his demand.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• keep pumping! try pumping longer i go for about 20 min! drink tons of water!! if u want to try taking fenugreek u can! take 3pills 3times a day with food! or i drink a protein drink everyday it also has helped my supply! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It sounds like you are probably experiencing the normal response to pumping, which is completely neutral. You'll probably need to do something to increase your let down, rather than worrying about your supply.

Supply issues are mostly perception problems. What you can extract with a pump is no indication of how much milk your baby can extract, or how much you're making.

Try this massage technique on page 2 of this sheet to greatly increase your let down before and during pumping:

http://lllrochester.weebly.com/marmet-technique-of-manual-expression.html
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Pumping is NOT a good indication of how much your body is producing. Pumping does not usually give as good a result as breastfeeding.

Something that helped when I pumped - watch your child sleeping or look at a picture. Think about how special he is, how sweet, how much you love him, etc. Really sappy stuff - but it works! My milk would flow much more.

Let the baby nurse as often as possible. Nursing is the BEST way to up your supply!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Drink Chamomile tea about 10-15 minute prior to pumping or nursing your baby. Get more rest.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Also, eat oatmeal every day... I made myself oatmeal cookies with flaxseed mixed in and it helped a lot. There is also something called "Mother's milk tea" it is actually quite tasty and is put out by the Traditional Medicine Tea brand. You can find it at Babies R Us, or online. It has fenugreek and fennel seed mixed in with a couple of other herbs (fenugreek and fennel have been used for generations for breastmilk production)... Drink lots of water, cut down on caffeine, don't drink or eat diuretics (blackberries, coffee, etc. if you can help it...) Make sure you are taking in enough calories throughout the day, small nutrition filled meals are best several (apx. 6 times) times a day. Take a multivitamin, and don't stress... if you are stressing, find a way, (I like yoga) to reduce the stress level. I dried up at four months with my first son, but am doing excellent with my second (Thank God!) I did a ton of research...
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2010