Being induced on Wednesday if he doesn't come out by then.

I'm currently 5 days past due and will be 10 days past due on Wednesday. They're going to be inducing me sometime after 6pm.
I'm trying my hardest to have a natural birth. Is it still considered natural if I get induced? I'm definitely not waiting past Wednesday regardless. He's in position and I get braxton hicks everyday. I've heard that the contractions hurt worse after being induced. Is this true?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 10:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That is what I have heard as well but have no experience with comparing the two. I would not allow my doctor to induce me. My daughter came a week and a half late and was healthy which is all I wanted.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• it is true that the contractions are harder and hurt more if you are induced with pitocin. did they try to strip your membranes? do you walk around alot? have you tried sex? there are alot of things you can do to try and induce labor besides drugs
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I was induced with both of my boys. My labor seemed the same as my sister's, who's water broke on it's own. Good Luck!!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i wasn't induced but i was given pitocin with both mine to speed up labor b/c they were getting stressed the contractions weren't too bad with my dd but i had back labor with her, with my ds it was a little more painful but nothing too bad GL i hope your baby (and you) do great :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa. Contractions were TERRIBLE when I was induced. My body was not ready to go through labor when I was induced with my first (my water had broken). It was AWFUL!!

As long as the baby isn't stressed at all, I would encourage you to hold out. Due dates are just estimates anyway. There was actually an interesting article about that in the Stir recently. Due dates can easily be off an entire week!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I was induced for my son and not for my daughter...It is true that the pitocin can make your contractions much stonger and more painful. Since you are past due you may get lucky and be able to pass by with them just getting you going with the pitocin and being able to continue on without it or with a small amount. They start you out slow and continue to turn it up to keep you progressing. Try some of the things the pp said to get yourself going. I was actually scheduled to be induced with my daughter but thankfully was already in good labor when I got to the hospital.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My husband and I go for walks everyday and even though sex has become very uncomfortable for me, we do continue to do it to try to induce labor. We've even tried massaging the pressure points in the ankles and hands to no avail. If I had the money, I'd try going horseback riding even. lol
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i would definately ask them to strip your membranes before they try any drug-type induction. but anyway, gl and hope you and baby are healthy!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• NEVER HEARD THAT
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You can do whatever you want to with remedies and tricks, or with drugs, it is still forcing, though.
    Baby & body will be ready eventually-- so you could wait if you wanted...

The due date is only a *mid* point within the average (estimated) due period.
    And first-time moms average 41 weeks and a few days.

If you are trying your hardest to have a natural birth then you will want to avoid unnecessary risks / unnecessary interventions. Inducing is a pretty big one.

Good luck with everything!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2010