Did you start lactating before of after you gave birth?

I was lactating a little bit around 7 months and have stopped since then. I'm 5 days past due now and I'm being induced on Wednesday. I heard some women didn't start lactating until days after giving birth.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 10:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You were leaking, as your breasts turned into lactating breasts. Most women stop leaking after a while and then don't start again unless they end up making too much milk for the baby.

Colostrum is lactation --the small-quantity rich as gold fluid made in the antepartum period, that is super-healthy for babies, and helps them clear the meconium from their bowels (among a great many other benefits)... milk comes in (the volume increases tremendously) somewhere between 4 and 10 days. It is not a race. The more colostrum a baby gets, the better.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i started after i gave birth. actually with my first son i didn't get him until 2 days afterwards and he had been drinking formula in the nursery, but when i finally got him i completely stopped the formula and nursed him and everything was fine. you don't have to start making milk while you're pregnant
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i started at 17 weeks =0
    MissesRoyalty

Answer by MissesRoyalty at 10:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Some women don't lactate until after they've given birth, some start as early as second trimester. It depends on the body and the pregnancy. I never leaked other then during sex or any other sexual time before birth. Then after birth as anyone would.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I started at 19wks. OB said that was a little early but normal.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 10:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I started lactating after I gave birth to my son.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 10:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• AFTER
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Both is possible. You will get your actual milk in after your baby is born.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 12:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2010