Totally frustrated

My family and I adopted a dog back in April. We all love the dog (I think he's stupid but he's sweet.) he's a great fit for our family. Except. Every once in a while he decides to hold his pee all day.I feel like it has to be intentional. My husband took him out four times today, and he only peed twice. The last time was about an hour ago, then as I was getting our son ready for bed, the dog peed all the way around the livingroom. Thats from one end of the couch, around the table, and back around to that end of the couch, over one of my son's books, and on my husband's work boots. This is the third time this has happened since we adopted him. He never goes to the door to let us know he needs out. He never whines or barks to indicate the urge to go. What do I do? I'm frustrated with him right now, and I'd honestly like to take him back to the shelter, but I know that's not fair to him, or my son who loves him so much...advice?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 10:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Bladder infection?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• take it to the vet it might be a medical issue
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• sounds more like a marking the territory type thing...i really don't know how you would handle that. My dad used to spray pinesole everywhere the dog would pee
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• take him out every hour and give him time to sniff around and find the right spot to pee in (no less than 10 minutes) and after he does pee, give him praise "good dog" and petting ...no water in his bowl after the last time you take him out (around 9pm) or whenever you go to bed...that's what we did with our shelter dog now she's good about peeing outside and not in the house GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I'm going to suggest taking him to the vet to rule out any infection like LindaClement said.
    If she's a young pupp then you need to take her out every hour for every year she is. So if she's not quite a year old, then take her out roughly every 30 minutes. Praise her like she just won an award everytime she goes. I wouldn't suggest giving treats, because then they come to expect them every time they go out. Even after the training is over and come sometimes regress just to get the treat. Then you can stretch it out more between trips outside as she gets a little older. Make sure she's getting enough water and food as well.

When she pees in the house put her nose to it and firmly say "NO, NO!" Then take her right outside and walk her around. She'll then associate urine with the outside.

All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Does he have a crate?
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Your dog is old enough old enough to know better. When my puppies were potty training and made a mistake in the house, it only took once of rolling their head in their mistake and putting them outside for them to realize that inside is not a toilet.

We adopted a fixed male cat in March and he took to spraying around the house until we started rolling him in his pee and thrusting him out the cat door. Now he understands to use the litter box or go outside...

Does your dog have an indoor toilet area? You can purchase a dog potty that looks like a piece of plastic astroturf mounted on a plastic box that you need to drain occassionally... They're about 3 ft x2 ft, so most dogs can use them...

Good Luck!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would take him to the vet and rule out a medical condition. but since you are not seeing any signals that he needs to go out you might want to teach him to ring a bell to let you know when he needs to go out. The bell would need to be hung from which ever door he is let out from.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• When you take him to the vet to see if its an infection, have him sprayed. Then he shouldn't mark his territory.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 5:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• He's neutered, and about 2 years old. This has only happened about 3 times in 6 months. It seems to be on rainy days. It's not that he's not getting out often enough. It's that he doesn't like to pee outside when it's raining. He goes out for walks that usually last between 7 and 10 minutes, and once he's peed a sufficient enough (he's a beagle, his bladder isn't huge.) he comes in. If he hasn't pooped since the day before, I hook him out on his lead for twenty minutes or so. He's great about not going in the house, except every once in a while. He does pee outside on rainy days, it's just that these three days for some reason, he decided not to. The three days were spread out throughout the 6 months, so it's not likely an infection. It could be marking, but he's been neutered for over 6 months now, and the testosterone should be out of his system by now. I just can't explain the peeing all the way around the livingroom.
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 7:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010