what to do?

My daughter is almost 3 and has now just hit her terrible TRRRIBLE twos .. I am Not one to deal with fits etc but I don't know how to get her to mind.. and stop with The fits. Any suggestions???

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• To be honest, age 3 is worse than age 2 as far as fits go. I would ignore them and put her in timeout when she does it. Let her know why she is in timeout, and then don't speak to her again while she is sitting there, especially if she is getting down and not staying put. Just pick her up and set her back down, but you have to be consistent or it is fruitless. Good luck:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My tactic with fits is to place them in the room shut the door and walk away. That way they are not getting the attention that they want. I do not have to listen to it and they soon find that throwing them is ineffective.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• ignore the tantrums and put her in time out for 3 min. if she is not listening. you just have to be consistant and cool as a cucumber and then you'll be ok
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Sounds like a 3yo to me.

Often, when a 2yo behaves like an immature child, people say 'oh, that's okay, she's still a baby' but when nearly 3yos do that exact same thing, because they're taller, their faces look more mature and they can talk so much better, people say 'gawd, what is wrong with that spoiled, immature little brat?'

She's got the same baby brain she had 8 months ago --and will have it for another 4 years or so, and until then, her body will become overwhelmed by her emotions, she'll have difficulty dealing with reality being persistent no matter how she wants things to go and frustrated out of her mind whenever she's overstimulated, over-tired, hungry, feeling lonely or feeling oppressed.

It is easier to avoid tantrums than it is to fix them when they're happening. Be aware of her most likely triggers and stop them from happening: regular naps or rests, not too much in one day, regular feeding, etc.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I am in the same boat as OP, I am finding that the time out thing is really working for us.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The tempers and attitude just get worse unfortunately. We use time out for our 4 yo when she decides to get snotty. We also take away privilege.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• LindaClement has some good advice here. I usually just put my daughter in her room until she's done.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• When my 3 1/2 year old gets in temper mode (and yes, 3s are much MUCH worse than 2s), I ignore her. Period. I do not acknowledge her fit, or tantrum, other than to remove her from the cart (if out shopping) and leave the store.

She's JUST starting to get the hint that the screaming and crying isn't going to get her her own way. *nod*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son didn't have terrible twos, but he did have a rough time with listening when he was 3 and 4. I just stuck to my guns and was consistent and fairly strict with him. There were always consistent consequences for acting up or not following rules and he woudl sometimes push limits, but he KNEW what to expect.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Time outs and spanking.. you gotta follow through tho.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010