How can I get my 2 1/2 year old daughter to stay in her new 'big girl' toddler bed?

My daughter is so tall that the crib just isn't safe anymore, but we've been trying for a week to get her to sleep in her own bed, and if we can get her to sleep, she's up and in our bed by 4 a.m. Does anyone have any suggestions that might helps us get through this? I think we got more sleep when she was a newborn!

grace727

Asked by grace727 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You probably got more sleep when she was a newborn than you'll get until she moves out. Naps are a wonderful thing.

I have never had any interest in having a war with anyone at 4am, so I'd probably not even wake up when the toddler showed up in my bed at that time of day. And, I did have kids appear in my bed at some point in the night, which was often a surprise in the morning. Since I'm only sleeping at that time of day, anyhow, I never cared.

Now, at 19 and 21, you'd be amazed how little they want to sleep in mom's bed...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• just put her back into her bed when she gets out. i was really worried about them walking around in the hall when they first got their bed (we can't put a gate on the steps), so i put a baby gate on the door to their bedroom (the one i got swings open like a door). that also solved alot of problems. after a few weeks they adjusted and everything was fine. stick in there and don't let her come in your bed lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010