My 19 month old only says a few words, I'm worried.

She only says a few things and mumbles a lot of stuff. She walked a bit late and I'm wondering if she is just a late little bloomer... Her 4 year old brother did everything early. I'm wondering if he talks too much for her too? I dont know, is this bad??? what can i do?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is exactly the same way. She mostly grunts, points, and sometimes screams while stamping her little feet. :) I think it's part of being a younger sibling. Both my kids are also in daycare, so she's around older children all day, who are able to "translate" for her. My doc said not to worry about it too much, but to encourage her to talk as much as possible.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• She probably sais allot more than you realize you just cant quite make it out right now. I think this is normal just don't get yourself too worried.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 11:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• my daughter is 2 1/2, and she was the same way. My mom and grandma stressed me out and made me feel like I was a bad parent because I was hesitant to get her hearing tested. She was about 19 months when I finally caved, and her hearing was completely normal. I think you have to listen to your instincts. Does your daughter understand what you say, and respond appropriately? What really helped my daughter was to learn a few signs for things she commonly wanted, and be gentle but firm in making her use them before giving her what she wants. My daughter still doesn't talk as much as some kids her age, but she's starting to pick up words more often, and I know she's understanding everything we say to her. Just because they don't talk early, doesn't mean they're not smart and wonderful, and don't let anyone make you feel different! also, my daughter didn't start walking until she was about 14 months either.
    grace727

Answer by grace727 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• IF you want your child to talk, you must talk directly to them.
    My second oldest didn't talk until I talked to her. Before that
    I was talking to her sister thinking she was listening... For
    some reason when you pay attention to them and expect
    them to answer they talk sooner.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 11:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Dont be. My son is now 2 1/2 and just NOW started talking up a storm.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All babies/kids/toddlers develop differently. Some are chatter boxes while other take their time. Discuss it with your family doctor/pediatrician and he/she will be able to tell you if there is something that needs to be looked into. As long as you are taking some time to properly teach him to pronounce, enunciate and to actively engage him in conversations then you shouldn't have anything to worry. Good luck and don't stress too much, just teach and lead by example.
    ACinTO

Answer by ACinTO at 12:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I always think that moms know there kids best and if a mom has ANY worries, she should request and evaluation from your local early childhood development program. It never hurts to have a professional opinion. That way, if there are any delays you have an early jump on getting any therapy that is needed. If there are no delays, than at least you have peace of mind!

Answer by missanc at 10:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010