Hav you ever seen a therapist/counselor regularly?

Do you mind sharing why? I had to when I was 8-almost 10 because of lies my mother told in court. See, my grandparents had custody of me from almost birth until I was 8, then my mom "wanted" me back, so she lied and said that my grandparents brainwashed me into saying that she was abusive, and they believed her. That was BS, she HAD BEEN abusive, and so had my biological dad. She claimed that I had been brainwashed and that I was a pathological liar, so I was placed in therapy for almost 2 years for no reason. I probably SHOULD be in therapy now for my depression and the like, but I can't afford it.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Health

• Once a month for depression and she's awesome. I love talking to her and not feeling judged. She listens and tells me what I can do. It feels good to tell someone things personal to me and have an unbiased listener. She really has helped me a lot.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I went to a therapist for 3 years for longstanding depression and anxiety. I also went back to church, and back to school, both in an effort to feel better. Although I made some progress in therapy, I ultimately went on an anti-depressant called celexa. Best thing I ever did! If you think you may be depressed, anxious, or have another issue I would look for a "check list" of red flags online or in books from the library to discern whether you are just in a rut or or truelly depressed. Therapy would be your first line of defense. There are programs where you can pay on sliding scale. Ask around or even google it. Good Luck!
    happycboys

Answer by happycboys at 11:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• When i was 14-15 i went to it because I had bad anxiety ... I liked it because I got out of school and it did help...

I still do have bouts of anxiety and sometimes i actually would really like to go back but I doubt I do anytime soon.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I went to one for a while. I have generalized anxiety disorder. It was very helpful.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I went for about a year after I was kidnapped and raped when I was 24.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I went one time when I was like 14, for family counseling. I showed the counselor that not only did I not need to participate, but that she was an idiot. I don't believe in counseling.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Well I did for a while. However the best results I have seen were for my two daughters. Both went for anxiety and one was depressed. They were 16&17. One was totally cured and the therapist helped her gain perspective on her anxiety. My other daughter who was 17 went and after a period of time decided that she was fine. Flash forward to Senior year in H.S. started going again. She seems to be one of those people who is going to need therapy for the rest of her life. Which she is fine with. She is also on an antidepressant. Which seems to make a big difference as well.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2010