I'm making Thanksgiving dinner for my MIL and SIL for the first time this year. I'm nervous because they are extremely picky. Menu ideas?

I want it to be perfect but they are SO picky. They were planning to go out to eat this year but I offered to cook. Well as soon as I said that I was grilled about what I usually make. Now I'm nervous because I pride myself in my cooking ability. I love to cook and I am good at it but I am just scared that they are going to gripe. Then I'll end up feeling like crap all day.

SO I want a menu that will WOW them and keep their mouth full not flapping...LOL.

I usually do a turkey, broccoli rice cheese casserole, green bean casserole, homemade rolls, mashed potatoes, green beans sauted with bacon, sweet potatoes with brown sugar and chopped pecans, and stuffing for dinner.

Pecan, Pumpkin and Buttermilk pie for dessert.

I need to come up with appetizers. I usually do veggie and meat and cheese trays but I don't think that will cut it this year because they don't really veggies.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• Geez. I'd say make a wide variety and if they don't like it too bad. I understand you're trying to impress them but don't kill yourself trying!

Unfortunately I don't know all those stupid etiquette rules and what to make to impress.

Martha Stewart website is probably the place to look for all those "perfect" ideas
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• try rolled hams with cheeses... or mini stuffed egg shell noodles with tuna/chicken salads...
    Maybe stuffed mushrooms...
    You could find out what one of their favorite deserts and make it as a surprise...

And if they do say something , DON'T take it to heart... some ppl are just like that...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Let them bring the appetizers. =D
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Stuffed mushrooms, deviled eggs, olive platter, veggie platter. The appetizers can actually be pretty simple because you don't want people eating a lot before dinner. And your dinner sounds totally delicious.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Here is a site with a ton of easy appetizers, hope it helps

http://www.easy-appetizer-recipes.com/simple-appetizer-recipes.html
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I noticed no mention of cranberries or gravy...oversight?...the fresh cranberries in the produce dept. have the easiest recipe on the pkg. & it can be 1/2'd. Great gravy is as easy as making soup. Take the stuff in the bag(neck heart gizzards etc) and simmer them in a quart of chicken(or more) broth, celery&onion. Do this a day ahead and you can chill and scrape the fat off easily. I use the low salt, no msg stuff. Thicken with a cornstarch or flour slurry. If they're as picky as you say they are, they'll complain those 2 items are missing. Even if they don't like either. I speak with experience!!LOL!
    Oh, and about the appetizers? Don't change what you normally do. Just reduce the amount and add some other things they do like.
    AuntyL

Answer by AuntyL at 8:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I say let some one else bring appetizers. Also what is buttermilk pie? Never heard of it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would make what you listed. If they don't like it, they can help prepare what they will eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2010