Will my daughter still know im her mommy?

Will my daughter still know I'm her mommy, even after being with a sitter all day and seeing her face all day. Will she forget who I am? Being at work from 8-5 seems like she will forget me. Is there anything I can do to remind her threw out the day that I'm her mom and that I havent forgotten her.... SIGH.... I'm a first time mom I'm sorry if my questions sound just a little dumb but I really dont know what to expect and feel nervous for heading back to work in a week after maternity leave......I'm learning as I go I guess. But what can make it easier,I'm new to cafemom and I closed my last question a little too soon.

karminia

Asked by karminia at 11:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your question isn't dumb at all! It is very normal to feel conflicted about leaving a tiny baby with a sitter. It's really difficult, mamma, and you and baby are biologically designed through millions of years of evolution to want to be in constant contact with each other. This is a very difficult thing you are doing for your family.

That said, OF COURSE she will know you are her mommy. There are cultures in the African bush in which babies only spend about 50% of their time (including over night) with their parents. They clearly know who their parents are, they are just socialized and comfortable with many other caretakers. It works for them and their parents.

I know this is very hard. But you're doing great and you'll both figure this out. She will always know who her mother is.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Your baby is not going to forget you. There is a lot of moms out there that either have a babysitter or more likely daycare. She'll know who you are, don't worry about it. :)
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• When babies are first born their vision is very poor, they recognize who their mommy is from the sound of her voice, and also her scent. Your baby knows who you are from both of those, and also your touch, and your love! Don't worry, she will not forget you are her mommy!

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i had the same fears with my first child going into daycare... your baby will remember you and will be so pleased to hear your voice and see your face at the end of the day... no one can replace the mommy...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 12:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• babies know mommy from anyone else baby can actually tell who you are by your smell and stuff like that
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• She wont forget you.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Awww hun! She wouldn't be able to forget you!! I'm not sure how old she is but after being inside your tummy for so long and with you since birth she knows exactly who you are!
    Seeing your beautiful child after a long day at work is such a rewarding feeling and she will be so happy to be with you.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes she will. I will face this very soon in the near future. But I tell myself she remembers her dad when he comes home from work. She lights up like a Christmas tree when he comes in.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I can reassure you, your baby will know who you are. She has everything about you memorized - your face, your smell and the sound of your voice. She has been held in your tummy for 9 months and in your arms for weeks now. When you return at the end of the day, she will recognize you and will be happy to see you. As she gets older, she wiill squeal in delight and run/crawl to get to you. I know for me, having my dauhgter greet me at the end of the day erased every bad moment that happened while at work. Their smiles really do work miracles.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 12:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010