What are your opinions on snakes for a pet?

When I was living w/ my ex before I was saved, we aquired a Burmese Python, who is now about 6 /7 years old. Long story short the snakes kind of on house arrest due to a new law in NY that put Burmese snakes on a dangerous species list, & he's not allowed to leave the house w/o proper documentation. One of my more eccentric Christian friends insists that the snake is of the Devil, & shouldn't be in my house period. That it's demonically influencing my household, & says he won't come to my house as long as I have this snake in my house. That I should just call the DEC & have it physically removed from the house. I'm torn over this, because I'm the one who got the snake for my ex, & got him into the whole financial & legal mess to begin with. I also have a huge love for ALL animals, and I'm worried they may just put it to sleep. So..... is a snake just a pet, or a tool for the Devil?

RepentantSinner

Asked by RepentantSinner at 3:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i have 4 snakes myself and i consider them pets, they are so calming and relaxing to hold!
    But they probably wont put it to sleep if it is on the endangered species list hun.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• it's not on an endangered species list, it's on a dangerous species list because they have such small brains and are more instinctual than anything. But he's handled frequently and always has been. But I was asking this question more from a religious point of view.....
    RepentantSinner

Answer by RepentantSinner at 3:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I think that would be ridiculous for a religion to think snakes are bad. It's a pet. doesn't the bible teach to "love all God's creatures, great and small"?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Snakes are God's creatures and I don't see anything wrong with having one as a pet. I personally suffer from serious ophidiophobia. I don't "do" snakes!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Lmao, I don't understand why you're asking this. It's an animal. You can associate ANYTHING with some religious meaning or another, but that doesn't make it true or even logical. You got this pet and have lived with it for so many years so why don't you tell me. Did it try and eat your baby? Is it doing Satanic sacrifices in your living room? lol, pardon my sarcasm, but I truly think you're letting your friend get to you too much.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Ask your religious nut friend to show you the passage in the christian Bible that says snakes are of the devil and a demonic influence. And I'm not talking about some modern re-written version of the Bible. I'm a Christian and I read my Bible. There is nothing in it that I'm aware of that says snakes or any other type of animal is a no no for a pet. Also your religious nut friend shouldnt be worried about demonic influence if he is true to his faith and truely believes. Only people who are not saved by Jesus or truely believe, need to worry about the demonic influences present everywhere in the world.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Satan used a snake... all snakes are not evil or of the devil. I would have a snake now if my son wasn't so afraid of them. If you like ur snake, keep ur snake.. it's a pet... not a tool of the devil.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I consider snakes to be pets, they kinda freak me out (most reptiles do) but I still think they're a pretty cool pet.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It's a snake for crying out loud. Just because Satan disguised himself as a serpent doesn't mean all snakes are evil. It's just a simple animal. If you like it (and I love snakes) than keep it. Tell your friend to back off, and if he just can't come to the house it's his loss. And I agree with "vbruno" ask him to give you specific scripture where it says snakes are of Satan.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 3:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Does the Bible state that snakes are evil?

Nope. If you glance through the verses, you'll never find anyplace where snakes are specifically called evil critters. Rather, the snake is used as a symbol for everything from Satan to alcohol, from lying to wisdom. Quite a range. Symbolism is used to make it easier to understand something, and does not denote inherent characteristics. For example, the dove is used as a symbol for the Holy Spirit in the New Testament, but there's nothing particularly holy about a bird. At different times, the lion is used positively ("Lion of Judah") and negatively (Satan going about like a "roaring lion").

FOR THE REST OF THE ARTICLE PLEASE GO TO: http://www.herper.com/human/script/verse10.html
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 4:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2008