Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can I work and do schooling from home?!

I'm a 22 yo mom, my son is almost 10 months old, and my fiancee is a Marine who is currently deployed. OOoooo, and I have Crohn's disease. I'm currently wokring and going to school outside the home but my dr.s and fiancee think it's best if I do on-line (in-home) work/school. I'm enduring a flare up now, so surgery is right around the corner and I have an SSD case pending, but they seem to think b/c I have a child and am not old that I'm not disabled even tho I have 3-4 Dr. testimony that I am. I need help and advice.... IDK what to do!!?!?!?!

Answer Question

Asked by rsallen at 11:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • SSA will pretty much always deny your initial claim. If you don't have a lawyer working on an appeal yet, get one. Either way, be very careful not to make more than the max according to SSA -- i think it's $1000 a month right now -- because if you do win your case, you'll lose your backpay.
    As far as schooling goes, talk to your local vocational rehabilitation center. They will be able to match you up with school opportunities and possibly get you some grant money or other funding to help you. GL!!

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • THanks, I make FAR less than the limited income. I'm only able to work 15 hrs a wk and go to school 15 hrs a week, and so far that's been proving too much on me... I have a lawyer, the judge was really harsh. She totally dismissed one of my Dr.s testimonals and used the fact that I have a child against me, even tho I'm not allowed to live alone and live with my aunt until my fiancee comes home in March. I'm so stressed and just want to get something from home. It'll make me less stressed and my dr.s && family wouldn't be so concerned about me... let alone be a burden on any place of work outside the home. :((

    Comment by rsallen (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • I'm sorry.... it seems like you have a lot on your plate and you just want to better your life. I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 20 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:

    Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • hey! I would love to share with you my journey with a company that is 30 years old and you can make money at home doing it! Its a health and wellness company and we have a figure 8 healthy livingline that has helped with chrohns disease honey, so I would truly love to share more with you about our company and our products! Hope this helps! Let me know if you may be at all interested in just hearing more about the business.

    Answer by arbnmom at 2:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • -Talk to the counselors at the school you are currently attending to see what classes are offered online. The tech college I am at offers about 90% of their classes online and regular classroom. Why is a judge determining your SSD, it should be the Social Security Admin. Talk to a Vocational Rehab Specialist. They will be able to help you with your disease, school, work, making your home safe and accessible for YOU. It doesn't matter how old you are. Keep fighting social security. Good luck,

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • Being able to attend classes online will be a lot easier than find work from home. Most people who work from home either own their own businesses, freelance work or do direct sales and neither one of those things is a steady paycheck unless you are very successful at it. Try looking for a telecommuting job. That would be the only legit at home job that is an actual job.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • Everyone here seems to have some really good advice for you. I'd definitely look into the options they've given you.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 3:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • Keep pushing with the SSD - sometimes you just hit a judge on a bad day. If you are disabled, you are, plain and simple. SSD will see that eventually. I had a tough time with mine at first, but it took more than 2 years and a lot of fighting. My best friend is worse off than me because she had a crappy lawyer - she has a colostomy bag and can't walk more than a few hundred yards without resting, can't sit very long because they screwed her up when they did the colostomy - and still got denied in court for SSD because her lawyer didn't have the correct paperwork. I am trying to help her fight back and get things together for a new lawyer, but it's like starting all over again for her - she's been almost 8 years since her first surgery now, but I'm not going to let her quit on it because she is truly disabled - so hang in there on that part !!!

    Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • Check into becoming a Rep with Juice Plus.
    Please feel free to contace me if you have any questions and would like to find out more.

    Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • OK, there are some good ideas but there are a few things left out. First,IF YOU DO ANY KIND OF WORK the SS believes you are not ill enough to receive their help because you are able to provide your income. Second, you usually have to be unemployed for a year or more. You need to be seeing Dr. and therapy. Showing them you've tried to improve your lifestyle. If you have surgery, will that make you better and able to work? If so, you may want to check with the hospital to see if someone can help you get on short term disability. In which you would also be able to have Medicaid. You also need to get EVERYTHING in writing. Have family provide affidavits showing they are caring for your child not you. If you can, sign up with an home health agency to help care for you. See if Red Cross in your area provides those services for a lower cost. Some agencies go according to income. Contact me for more info. Hope this helps.

    Answer by Prayerpartner at 8:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Have you heard

Next question overall (Travel)
would u move to VA Beach?