Do you have cable?

My family doesn't... it's a choice I made long before the economy crashed. Call me controlling, but I'd rather buy seasons of shows that I approve and DVDs that I can stand rather than have my kids surfing channels all day long, watching commercials for toys they'll beg me for, and accidentally watching MTV while I'm in the other room. The other day my 8 year old son went to spend the night at a friends house and he saw a dish on his roof and exclaimed "MOMMY!! KEVIN HAS CABLE!!!" I laughed and said "What is this, the '80s?".. which of course he didn't get... but I was wondering... how many of you have cable, and if you don't... do your kids get that excited when they get to watch it?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 11:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope. And they don't really care because they have gone so long without it. They watch DVDs and movies on Netflix. At first they were confused but now they are used to it. We have been without cable since summer of 2009. Anything we want to watch, we can watch it on the internet so why pay two bills?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We don't have cable, my daughter is almost 4. I have netflix so she can watch quit of few shows online and she gets one movie out at a time. When we go to someone's house who has it she doesn't like it cause she has to watch whatevers on instead of whatever she wants
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• we don't have cable. We have netflix though. Best investment ever
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• no
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 11:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I do have cable, but have only had it for a year. Before that we just had the reg stuff like the news channels and PBS and that was it. My kids are thrilled to have On demand now because they can watch kids' shows all the time. TV isn't an addiction for them though and they don't beg me for toys after commercials. They are just as happy playing outdoors as they are with tv and if they do see a toy from a commercial they want, they politely ask if they can have it for Birthday or Christmas. We don't buy toys for any reason other than that. My children watch almost all educational shows and I have seen with my own eyes how its benefitted them. My barely 2 year old has an exstensive vocab-the other day she actually used the word "facinated" lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have sattelite tv and love it
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Funny - pp said they were without it since summer of 2009. We got our's in summer of 2009. Something we'd been thinking about anyway and they had a really good deal on cable/phone/high speed internet so we went ahead. When we didn't have cable my kids would be excited to go to their cousin's house cuz he had all the fun cartoon shows, but I agree - they ask for everything the see!! We definitely monitor their tv usage though and we still have to give approval before allowing shows. AND we have a parental control so they can't watch certain channels that we don't want them to see. Nice feature :) If we went back to no cable I wouldn't really miss it - most of the stuff we watch is on regular tv anyway - the few things we actually take time to watch. Except for American Pickers and Pawn Stars :) lol
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yeah, we have Netflix, too... I really like the instant streaming to the Wii feature. It's not like my kids are envious... we haven't had cable in seven years, so my kids don't ever remember having cable. It's more like.. the novelty of it. They've never asked me for cable, and it's not that they go without electronic entertainment... I just thought it was funny that it was so incredibly novel to them.
    prinzesstephi

Comment by prinzesstephi (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yes
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No, we can't afford cable or satellite. We haven't had it since shortly after we got married, when we moved here. That was over 2.5 years ago. It drives me nuts sometimes, but we finally got Netflix, because it was costing so much for me to buy DVDs (I'd buy like 4-5 movies almost every pay check when I was working, but I rarely spent over $7 on a single movie, usually no more than $5). I get really excited when I go to a friend's house and they have it, but DD is used to it from my mom's house.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2010