Is it a crime??

Dh started a new job at a branch of a Toyota factory last week. He was supposed to get his paycheck today *friday*. They gave him options, direct deposit, paper checks through the mail, and a debit card. he signed up for direct dep. They didn't tell him that it takes a few weeks for the direct depto go into effect, and that until then he will be getting real checks in the mail. he found out when he went to hr to find out why he didn't have a check. But the chekcs from Chicago, and we live in Southern IN, they told him it sometimes take almost a WEEK for the checks to get here! and he prob won't get his check until Weds!!!! Wtf?? Payday is FRIDAY not WEDS the NEXT WEEK. Now our account is overdrawn because he was supposed to get paid today and he didn't, and there's going to be more bills coming out next week and I don't know when he's getting his check!! I'm so mad right now. Is there anything that can be done??

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• First cancel the bills still to come out so you don't have any more over drafts. 2nd you have to look into your states pay laws. In Ca we are a quick pay state and must be paid with in 48 hours of the schedualed pay date should something be wrong or on the spot of your last time punch.
    Them not telling him it takes time isn't something you can do anything about.
    Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ask the bank to put a stop on the checks that are out. That really sucks. SO started a new job and his comes on a credit card thing.I hate it because he is so ready to use that and not know how much is left. If he has the money in his pocket and pays the bills then he knows what is left.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 12:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Depending on the bank he can request a letter from the overdraft department to ask the company to pay for the overdrawn fees . Due to there rules and him getting his check late . I've work for banks for a couple years and it's possible in some cases to do that but as far as illegal to hold the check till whenever it comes that I don't think so .

waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 12:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do believe that all of the information about pay days should be in an employee hand book. Did he get one? It should have policies and procedures, as well as all other information regarding the position. Check that out, and if it is not then you can mention that to the HR department, and possibly have a case where they have to reimburse you the overdraft fee.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• OP Here: This whole thing is just so frustrating. I have a lot doctors bills from dd (I lost my insurance when I was 37 weeks pregnant, and made 200$ too much for Medicad). So last week I called all the places and set up payment plans. Now I have to call them back and beg them for mercy because Toyota can't be bothered to send out their checks on time! I just don't know what to do. You would think if they got paid on Fridays then they would send the checks out a lot earlier, it seems like they don't send them out until Friday.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You'd probably have to check the laws in your state - but I know here that if payday is the 15th, you have to have your money on the 15th (whether it's direct deposit, your cheque, or whatever). They have to have it available for you. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday they have to pay you on a weekday before that - if the 15th is a Sat or Sun, you'd be paid on Fri.

Definitely check the laws in your state (labour dept?) and check with your bank about getting your overdraft and any NSF fees paid by the company - it just seems wrong that if your pay day is 'X' that you don't get your mone
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have worked in retail for many years and it always takes a few weeks to get direct deposit. It can also take several weeks to get your first paycheck. But after that it should be on a regular basis. It takes the company and the bank a while to work everything out together. Stupid since you would think with computers it would be no big deal. Apparently it is. I agree about talking to your bank about the overdraft fees. Good luck!
    Banana2222

Answer by Banana2222 at 1:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That's BS! When my husband's company went to direct deposit we gave them our routing # and the next check was deposited by 9am that day. In this day and age of everything being by computer,there's no reason why this happened to you guys

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2010