can you gain weight from diet soda

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• YES. Diet soda is full of sodium and this causes you to "hold on" to water and other things in the body that can't flush out. Also it screws up your metabolism and that too causes weight gain.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Some studies show that people who drink diet soda weigh more than people who drink regular soda. The reasoning behind that is that people use drinking diet as an excuse to eat a bunch of crap, OR that the diet soda triggers a craving for more sweets and so people overindulge because of that. But diet soda itself has no calroies, so no way to make you gain weight.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes, in a roundabout sort of way. You are stimulating an insulin release, because you're having something sweet, so your blood sugar drops in response. Then you crave sugar, so you eat sweeter foods, which causes weight gain. Also, you develop a sweet tooth when you consume any kind of sweets on any regular basis, and are more likely to overeat between that and the blood sugar issues. Not to mention all the chemicals and dyes and such that are in any kind of soda. It's best to limit soda as much as you can. I have this debate with DH, who goes through almost a case of Diet Coke in a day, whereas I have a soda about twice a month. I don't like the example he's setting for our son.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Diet soda doesn't make you gain weight...but it will make you retain water with all the sodium....and, studies DO show that it decreases your metabolism...which can, in effect, cause you to pack on the poundage.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I lost 10 lbs in 2 months switching from regular soft drinks to diet, and I'm not that big of a girl - I dropped from 130 lbs to 120 lbs. So it worked for me!

Answer by missanc at 3:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Most definitely Yes. Any kind of pop can add to a persons weight if they drink enough of it. I encourage water.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes. Artificial sweeteners block the chemical in your brain that tell you you're full. They're basically appetite stimulants.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• YES
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Diet sodas don't make you gain weight, I use to drink regular sodas which have 8 tsps. of sugar in them. The diet sodas have 0 sugar in them and I lost weight when I quit drinking regular soft drinks.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes, diet sodas with artificial sweeteners and a ton of sodium in them will make you gain weight... I did find however a diet drink that was almost no sodium and a natural sweetener called "stevia" in it... that will not have the same effect... it is a little more expensive, but worth it if you are a soda girl.... I found it at my local health food store.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 8:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010