Do you think mexicans should speak english in the United States?

now I know that English isn't the "official" language of the USA but im sure we would agree that English is the most spoken language. It bothers me that most dont even bother to learn.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As someone who lives in Mexico, and speaks Spanish while living here, I think it's only fair that they speak at least enough English to get by. I didn't come live here expecting people to speak English with me. I realize not everyone is going to think the same way I do, but my husband surely does. He's a Mexican citizen and he told me he'd be scared to go to the US and not know any English, he thinks Mexicans should make an effort to learn. I teach English as a second language down here and my students that have dreams of visiting the US all want to learn English before they go. I think the majority of the ones who don't want to learn English are uneducated (that's not me being ignorant, that's me seeing it first hand).

Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• why just mention mexicans?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes everyone should know the common language to where ever they are going to.
    ndb9889

Answer by ndb9889 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes I think anyone that wants to live in this country needs to learn to speak English. The immigrants from all over the world used to do it. And I would never go live in another country and not know the language and expect them to make concessions for me.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• This is a hot issue in my household.SO thinks if you come to America then you should learn and speak the main language.He feels other ppl don't understand other languages. I feel yes they should learn but they should be able to speak whatever they want in their homes and communities. But I feel all parents should understand english. My nexts door neighbor the mother understands barely any english and the guy speaks broken english. This messes up the older daughters education the younger daughter is learning slower. I wish our neighbors would have taken our advice of entering the littlest one in preschool.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 12:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't think just Mexican people need to learn the language but anybody who comes here from any country needs to learn the language. I work with few girls that don't speak a bit of English and it's a major pain in the ass when you are trying to communicate with them, they have worked there for over two years you think by now they would learn a few words by now.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I feel that anyone from any country should learn to speak the language of the place in-which they are living. . . be it they are living in the U.S. they should learn "English" and so forth.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't care what people want to speak, as long as they aren't demanding that the rest of us speak it. The way I see it is if you choose to live here you should make the changes, not expect those of us who are already here to change to accommodate you. If that means learning to communicate with those of us who are already here, so be it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Most do learn the language, or at least try. However, it's a second language, so naturally they feel more comfortable speaking their native language. I am sure you would agree that you would feel the same way if you were in a different country. Most foreign people speak their native language when speaking to each other regardless of where they live.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Just like any other country where if you are going to live there, you have to learn and know the language. No excuses.
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2010