Is it wrong for a family member to deny her children a relationship with her entire family just because no one follows her religion?

A relative is denying any contact with her three children from our entire family because of her new found religion. She basically told her children that their Grandparents (her parents), their Aunts and Uncles (her siblings), and cousins (her neices and nephews) are all bad and evil and should not be associated with because they do not follow their God and are not members of her church. All of the children miss them dearly and are sad that they can not be a part of birthday parties, social gatherings, or family reunions. We all still send the invitations and they are returned as not accepted by resident.
(She is their mother and I respect the choices a mother makes for her children but this is going way too far don't you think?)

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 12:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow, yes I feel that's a little extreme. Extremely extreme actually. Unfortantely form your standpoint there is nothing you can do but try to send out love to those kids and hope oneday they decide to want the rest of your family.
    I chose to join the LDS church in collge and am happy in my choice though the only member in my family. That said I can't begin to imagine denying my family seeing my kids, with a few excpetions, on the grounds that their belief or different. In fact my hsuband can't understand that when we go visit my family I intend us to go to grandma's church so she can show off her great grandbabies to everone there (also I grew up in that church).
    Or course I myself feel that it is important for people to be exposed to different beliefs so they can make an knowledgeable and educated choice about what they themselves want/choose to believe in.
    I hope for your sake that things soon work out.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 6:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• The only reason I would keep my kids from their family for religious reasons was if they were really pushy and made the kids feel bad or scared about their beliefs. That is going WAY too far. But no one is as fanatic as a convert, and many traditional sects of many religions strongly discourage members from associating with those outside the faith.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• uhmmmm, yea. That's excessive!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Waaaay to far. If she had any good reason(pushing beliefs onto the children that aren't What the mother is revving them.. or the family making them feel bad for believing what they do) then I would understand. Ut just to do ut bc hey have.different beliefs seperate from the children is toooo far
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Are they JWs by any chance? Some new found converts tend to take their belief of staying separate from the world to extremes, but they do tend to come around. Is it extreme? Oh yeah! But you have to understand that she feels she is pleasing God, and ultimately if you have the choice between pleasing God and pleasing friends and family, most people would choose God, because they believe that's what's best. I don't agree with her actions, but I can understand her attitude...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• BIGGOT in my opinion
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do think it is terrible. A lot of very terrible things have been done in the name of God, unfortunately. I think when the children become 18 they will seek out the rest of the family. It is sad that they are being kept from the rest of the family, but unless their father steps in and stops this, there is nothing anyone can do.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 11:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i had an aunt who did that with my 3 cousins... they became JW's and could no longer associate with us or come to family functions... it was hard on everyone... when my cousins were old enough, the rebelled, moved out of their home and move in with our grandparents... then their parents disowned them...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 7:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010