Sorry- Wrong term- Why are so many younger people trying to get on Disability?

Why are so many more younger people trying to get on public aid? I guess I ask, because when I was younger, I didn't even know what that stuff even was. Is it because more and more families have been raised in the system? Maybe it's because my family never used any of that stuff? It's all so strange to me.

HAD TO RE-EDIT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not only old people get disabled, young people do also. I don't know what "facts" you're basing this on, that more younger people are now getting on disability. Maybe in your youth, you just weren't aware of the many who were on it. It's not easy to get, and it is necessary for many.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Money money mooo-ney, MONEY!!
    Seriously, because they either can't or won't get work, and the generation now getting into the work force has grown up in a generation where everyone gets a trophy, it's all about preserving self esteem, etc, to a point where these kids feel entitled. So why not live off of taxpayer dollars if they can?
    I'm not saying EVERYONE is this way, before people start bashing me, but I've seen a lot of this as a hiring manager, and it's really frustrating.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Well let's see... a girl I used to work with was only 28 when she was forced to quit working and go on disability. She didn't want to, she had no choice. Her arthritis (yes, arthritis) was so bad that she could no longer do her job. For three years I worked with her, and watched as she deteriorated, as she fractured toes by just walking, fractured fingers just by pulling files. She finally broke down and applied for disability.

A kid I went to high school with worked hard to get through college and get a decent job, but his seizure disorder became worse as he got older, and then he had a whole host of other problems that developed. He got to the point where he spend less and less time at work. He finally quit his job and got on disability. He passed away recently at the age of 40.

Neither of those people were lazy and wanting to live of the gov't.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My friend developed meningitis from the West Nile Virus he got from a mosquito. He recovered only to develop neurological problem a few years later. He uses a walker and has a hard time with many tasks. He had to quit his job because he's very much like a stroke victim. It's sad to see how the disease carried by a mosquito could ravage a person's body like that. I'm sure if he had a choice, he'd rather be working his old job instead of scooting around the house with his walker like an old man.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's not like you can just walk in the door say you are disabled and get a check cut to you every month. There is so much involved in the entire process and most claims are denied first. My MIL has been trying to get disability for over a year now. She can't work because of crippling rheumatoid arthritis for which she cannot take any medication because they are all contraindicated with either her heart medication or her heart problems (bypass surgery and valve replacement due to illness when she was a child). She is a shell of the person she was when I met my now husband. She lives everyday in pain. Getting disability is not easy and we are still waiting to see if she gets denied again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Because they're effin lazy. Why work when they can live off the government?

I'm not talking about the legitimately disabled people, I'm talking about the ones who are capable of working and choose not to.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My husband is only 28 and is on disability. WHY? Because he's disabled and cannot work. When we met and married, he was an able-bodied man who worked very hard to support his family. However now, schizophrenia has taken that ability from him. I would love nothing more than for him not to have to be on disability.
    So get off your high horse and have some fucking compassion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Anon, I don't think OP was talking about LEGIT claims. More like people who try to use a broken fingernail to get assistance, or back pain when there isn't really any, or enough for them to not be working. DH has a severe back injury, but will not have the doctor put him on disability, he just makes adjustments at work, and doesn't look for work in moving companies, stockrooms, etc.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My husband has a disorder and I wonder how so many others can easily get on disability and how in the world my husband is having such a difficult time trying to get it??
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Disability and public aid is still two different things.You have to go through a lengthy process to get on SSI or SSD (social security disability) and most lose their first time through. I can tell you I'm on ssi only because my drs have proved that the tumor in my head is pressing on my nerves in my face causing pain 24/7. But I still have tried to go to college with this and really want to work but my drs want me to wait until I have the prodcure to burn my nerves in my face.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 12:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2010