Did you marry your father? Did he marry his mother?

Do you think your SO turned out to be a lot like your own father, or did you turn out to be a lot like his mother?

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 12:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I do think I am a lot like his mother. He is nothing like my father...THANK GOD! My dad is overbearing and a bit of a jerk.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No. My husband has similar pollitical beliefs as my father held, but that is where the similarity ends. My dad was very selfish, emotionally and verbally abusive and skated by in life on his charisma, never providing a good living for my mom and the 5 kids he made.. My husband ALWAYS puts me and the kids first, is a wonderful provider and, while not an emotional person, he does his best to meet my emotional needs, as well as the kids'.

My husband's mother has psychological conditions and is overly nice. She is the sweetest woman on the face of the planet, but I am a much stronger personality. We have similar tastes in clothes and neither of us likes to say no, but that is also where the similarity ends.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• hell no i dont want nothin to do with my father

Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 1:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• DH is a lot like my mom in certain ways and then a lot like my dad in others. He is more like my family than I am.

None of us have anything in common with his family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No and NO... My husband does have much in common with my mother second husband, who was the closest I ever got to a father, but where that man decided his own selfish addictions were more important than his family, my husband did just the opposite! As for his mother and I, I'm sure we had some points in common, but the majority of where we would stand on things I can only assume from what my DH has said that we would be quite opposite.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My dad and my husband are pretty much opposites, with the exception of similar tastes in movies.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No and no. We both came from broken homes. We both decided before we ever met to be very different from the homes we came from. My DH is very different from my father. And I'm much more outgoing and dynamic than his shy, sweet, down to earth mom.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I honestly don't know if I "married my father". I know that happens but because of my lack of father, I think it's just whatever was right for me. I've never compared to my father because he wasn't a good guy so I just base it off what I've learned from my Mom's past history with guys (who not to date) and my own (who not to date). Lol. I ended up with the love of my life regardless. <3
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 2:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Also, he is farrrrrrrr from being like his Mom. We also both came from broken homes. It was my dad vs. his mom. Both bad parenting. It evened us out in a way so we understand how it is to be without a parent. His dad raised him and my mom raised me.
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 2:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No he's not, while they are both gameaholics that's were it ends and if he ever does turn the way my father did well, let's just say I'm willing to go to prison if it means I don't have to worry about my kids being molested and abused.
    As for me and his mother. we're total opposites other than liking the color purple and bunnies. I'm fairly alike to his step mom but enough different to actually get along with her better than my own mother. We both have our strong areas, mental health concerns and a love of words as well as being stubborn to a fault. I adore his step mother though and I don't concider myself to be her though I hope someday to be as amazing as she is. And have her level of control over the uncontrolable aspects of my life.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 6:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2010