need tips

i am about 60 pounds over weight now after having my baby. i want to get healthy but i don't know where to start. I don't wanna try something and fail, what ACTUALLY works?

kaydee8

Asked by kaydee8 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Have you looked into eating clean? It's awesome! It's not necessarily a diet plan, but more of a healthy approach to food. It's a lifestyle. The only thing it eliminates is refined sugars. There's a magazine called Clean Eating that I subscribe to, and any book by Tosca Reno will tell you all about it. I can give you more details if you're curious. (I promise I'm not selling anything!)
    Also, sparkpeople.com and babyfit.com are wonderful online resources for motivation, exercise ideas and so forth.
    Do you have any friends who would go walking with you? Buy a decent jogging stroller (you can find a Bob on Craigslist for half the price), and hit the road! If you can get away from the baby, hit the gym or the pool if possible. You can also do exercise videos at home. Jillian Michaels's videos are great. They're available free on our On Demand, so I utilize that resource! Plus, DS, who is two, loves to exercise with me! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• First, don't think of it as a "diet"...it's a lifestyle change. Once you can wrap your thought process around that, you need to make your changes. Don't cut anything out, just remember portion control...and make sure you get a LOT of veggies in your meals. Low calories, lots of food, and they fill you up. Try to make it a point to do some type of exercise every day for 30 minutes. Even if it's just "dancing around your house while doing housework"....it's a start. I invested in a pedometer to keep track of how many steps I took in a day to make sure I was doing more than 10,000.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Check out my journal post. Lots of helpful information to get you started. Let me know if you have any other questions.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I had to learn how to listen to my stomach when I was eating. This was hard because I used to eat till it was gone but instead I retrained my thinking to eat till I started to feel full and then stop. Another thing that I did was when I was playing with my kids as babies I would lay on my back and put them on my shins in the air and bounce them while tightening my tummy muscles and I would do sit ups with them on my shins and I would hold them in the air and bend my elbows lowering them towards me and then straighten my arms again. They really found this entertaining and I never did this when they were just infants. As they grew it added weight to my exercising resistance.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I totally agree, DIET is a yucky word, you want to change your lifestyle and be heathier all around :-). That's what going to help you stick with it and have it work. My husband just started a 90 Day Challenge, my friend is doing it and he has lost 11lbs so far in 2 weeks AND he cut his Diabetic meds in HALF. So this is an amazing challange and really easy to do :-). Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 1:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my friend lost 60 lbs. shortly after her baby's birth by strictly following weigh watchers
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Walking. Watching what you ear. Cutting out sugars and sodas. Watch your carbs.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2011