Any legal mommas??? Question about a home seller hiding information.

A friend of mine bought a house a couple of years ago, her husband just found out that the seller of their house hid the fact that the property next door was going to be converted into a gun shop (the owner of the property next door was the brother of the seller of the home). Had they known this when they were house hunting, they would not have purchased this house. They have 2 small children and the area is nice, but there are no zoning laws out in the country where they are. Is there anything my friend and her husband can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• That's not illegal.

The only buyer seller issues come up when a home is inspected and then warranted based on an inspection. The mortgage company usually requires an inspection. If the owner hides a flaw in the property and the inspector does not find it, in most states, the inspector is liable for the flaw. This is because an inspector certifies the property.

Unless the buyer asked, "what is going on with the property next door? Is it going to become a commercial property in the next 5 years?" and there were witnesses to it, then there is no case.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• it was two years ago that he bought the house? I doubt it, but have no idea....
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Pretty sure she can petition against it. If its just her that opposes it likely will not make a difference. But if the rest of the neighborhood petitions to oppose it you can take it to the local governor. Much like neighborhoods do when a porn shop/strip joint tries to open. Or around here everyone opposes Walmart and 7-11's lol.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't think that is illegal. Did they say for sure it would not be turned into a gun shop? He might be able to file a civil suit then but without proof I doubt that will come out good. If you are a real estate broker then there are things you have to disclose about the home you are selling but I don't think thats one of them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Potential homeowners need to check out the zoning laws in the areas where they wish to purchase. I see it all the time in the part of PA where I live, which has seen a HUGE housing boom in the past 10+ years. People always complaining that the large farmland that bordered their property or that they had a pristine view of was going to be the site of a large mall/strip mall, million square foot warehouse/distribution center, or being subdivided for condos, townhouses, new single family homes, etc.

Zoning laws are established LONG before houses are built, and even if the laws change, they're ALWAYS available at your local town hall. We ALMOST purchased a 7 acre lot for our home, but found out that a natural gas pipeline traveled clear through the CENTER of the property, and a separate swath was an easement for a planned walking and biking path--meaning we wouldn't be able to dig or build on those easements!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• So there is a commercial property next to residential?

Even without zoning laws, I am surprised there wasn't some type of notification required by the county or city that would enable you to protest that type of business.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010