Should voting age be lowered?

I'm a firm believer that if you can go to war at 18 then you should be allowed to have all the same rights 21 year olds have. You can die for your country but you can't vote who is going to tell you to go to war.

preciouschild

Asked by preciouschild at 1:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You can vote at 18.
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• ummm....18 year olds can vote
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Where do you live and who told you you can't vote until you're 21? I was totally bummed because I didn't turn 18 until 2 months after a presidential election. But I sure did exercise my rights after that!
    Also, I think 18 is a good age. By then, hopefully, kids are mature enough to make a real decision. Before that, a lot of kids are still learning to think for themselves.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yeah what country are you in? You can vote at 18 in the US. Did you mean to say drink alcohol?
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You can vote at 18!

And no I do not think that the voting age should be lowered. That would leave a hell of a lot of room for parents/ teachers/ coaches/ any other influential people to get an extra vote by influencing a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Considering that the voting age is 18, I do not feel that the voting age should be any lower. I think it's hard for any person under the age of 18 to have any real grasp of politics and economics. Most kids under the age of 18 have never even paid their own car payment yet. There's no way a child could comprehend how voting for or against different policies could affect families, small businesses, corporations... etc etc.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• A few days ago on tv I saw a clip of a reporter interviewing a girl, asking her who she was for in the coming election, the girl said she didn't know, then when asked if she was going to vote, she said no, that she's only 18. Then the reporter told her that when she's old enough, she should vote. I sat there wondering how this 18 year old didn't know that she could vote, and even worse, a reporter didn't know it, and whoever was responsible for putting it on the air didn't know! Well, that's our mainstream media for you.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Certainly not lowered than 18...I've actually stated here before, that it should, if anything, be RAISED to AT LEAST 21, or the point at which you have completed your education, moved out of your parents house, have a steady job, file and pay income taxes, AND pass a basic test on our political system (so many people have no idea who controls what in this country!)

I firmly believe that until you are making your OWN way in life, that you truly do not understand the ramifications of how politics really affects things.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My oldest is 18, just turned in September. She's so self absorbed she'd vote for the guy who offered her gas money. I'm with Lorikeet, making it higher would be more my inclination.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Hell no. We have to many people much older who know nothing about the voting and political process. My kids know a bit about it because we have taught them but they still vote for the most part for who we tell them to vote for
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2010