if baby selling is illegal, why does it cost so much to adopt?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have often wondered the same thing. It's stupid that you can give your baby to someone else to make money on, but you can't cut out the middle man and keep the money for yourself. I know that sounds terrible, and it is, but no one should be profiting from finding homes for babies who need them, especially not a third party.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I agree. If they took the $ part out of adopting maybe more of these children would get homes. I hope to adopt one day but only from this country and sure I can't afford it now. It is sad because it is these kids that end up loosing in the end. Sigh.
    Banana2222

Answer by Banana2222 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• because the profits go to the rich ppl , the ppl that have more power , they creat rules with there money and , most of rich ppl dont act like humanbeen and think that we can sell and buy everything they want , even part from human body if they want
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 2:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm guessing becuase someone else can get the money out of it and you're not really "selling" that baby you're giving it to someone who can provide it with a better life and it just so happens those people have to pay to be matched up with you who are adopting out your baby.
    Okay so you can't read some of my sarcasm. But really I think it's kind of silly to some degree and when I hear how people have to pay huge sums of money to adopt it makes me realize just how miraculous it was that my hubby's little sister found her way into their lives.
    No agencies, just a private adoption between bio mom and my inlaws. The third party was a mutual acquantience of sorts who knew they wanted a baby girl and that the bio was giving one up and "got them together" so to speak.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• These, and so many questions, are beyond me. More importantly... why is it so much more expensive to adopt domestically than going over seas? Why isn't this country more willing to allow moderately economically stable families to adopt before their insurance is willing to compensate for the overwhelming number of children in need of stable housing in the U.S.????
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 6:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It just doesn't seem right. The economics just don't add up. If a family, or even a single person, wants to adopt a child, and financially be responsible for them, why is this so difficult and expensive? I'm not sure what it costs the state to raise a child, but it's a lot. It would be cheaper for the state to absorb the costs than to support the child until adulthood. And all the hoops a person has to jump through? Ridiculous. I can understand checking out the background to make sure they are stable, and checking finances, but you shouldn't have to be rich to adopt a child. . But some of it just is uncalled for. I had a friend who was turned down to be foster parents because they didn't regularly attend church!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't really know, What does it take? Employees, phones, a few lawyers willing to work with them? I really am not familiar with the business. I think thats why so many people get an adoption lawyer and find a pregnant woman who doesn't want their baby. Rolling the dice that way is much cheaper than paying for the red tape involved in a regular adoption.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• All very good answers. If it werent for all the expense of adopting --even private adoptions can cost a fortune--- we'd adopt in a heartbeat. We've always wanted a house full of kids. I'm getting cynical enough to believe that adoption costs are so high and kept that way so that people see how many kids need homes and start choosing abortion. Adoption should not be an option that only the rich can afford. I can understand not wanting a child to be on welfare or whatever, but if it gets a child a loving home, I'm pretty much all for it these days.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My church has a huge burden for the adoption movement, and I have been learning lots of interesting things about that. For one, if you are willing to do foster care first, if they know you want to adopt, you will usually get matched up with babies/kids who are ready for adoption and most of the time adoption expenses are covered by the state.

Another cool ministry to check out is called Zoe Foundation. They are a small adoption agency in Kansas City, Kansas and adoptions can be as little as $7,000 with grants and loans available to even cover those costs. They are only serving local people in kansas city, but I know we are looking at starting a copycat organization in MN, so I'm sure that through a church or something you could find a group of people willing to invest their time and talents to make adoption more feasible.

Hope some of this helps!
    midwifejenny

Answer by midwifejenny at 11:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That is a really good question.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010