How do you split the holidays between families?

My husbands family and my family live within an hour of eachother how do you go between them now that we have kids? We used to go to both homes for all holidays but now id like to have time at ur house too, ex xmas morning without being rushed.

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 1:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• I save Christmas morning/day just for our household. You could host, and invite both families to your home.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't. DH moved several states away from his family when we married. We live in my childhood hometown. We do Christmas Eve usually with my parents and Christmas Day is at our house with us and kids. His family is "distant" in more than one way. Even if we showed up we wouldn't be welcomed and that's ok by me because I don't need that negativity and childish behavior in my life!!! I've got some great kids and I want them to be surrounded only by people who love them!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We hate the chaos of holidays for this reason. Generally, we will do Christmas morning at home. Either Christmas eve or the afternoon of Christmas with my husbands family. As far as my family, we kind of will get together on a day near the holiday that is cohesive to all of our schedules. My family is really laid back and my mother and sister work in health care so they often work on holidays. However, my husbands family is very uptight and even though we are actually doing Thanksgiving dinner at my house the day before Thanksgiving, is requesting that we all get together at my MILs house the day of. So we plan with them first and then work around everything else.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My inlaws are fairly laid back about Christmas so whenever we show up is ffine for them. My mother is the dramatic one. She's insisting that Christmas be at her house. She's already disappointed (and is happy to tell everyone that fact) because my sister called and said she wont be down for Christmas (couldn't be helped. Emergency surgery). So since I don't have a house of my own yet and this rental is too small to host I'll be at my mom's. Yay. But I'm not staying all day. I have a built in excuse to get home and relax --dh has to work.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Our family is spread all over so we look at the month of December as the Christmas season and have get togethers all through the month with different relatives. Each one is "our Christmas" with them. Christmas morning is for us, only, at home and when my parents were alive they came in the afternoon for dinner and overnight. We used to celebrate New Years with my inlaws.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My family does a party after Christmas and it is a huge get together. My husbands family does it Christmas eve.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ours works out realy well cause my family does Christmas and Thanksgiving in the afternoon like 11am-3pm and his family does everything from like 6pm-12am, We are tired and VERY full those days but it al works out. My cousin's inlaws do the same time as we do so the trade off years, one year they come to ours while we are celebrating and go spend time with her parents after (even though the party is over) and trade off the next year. They also altrenate with Christmas and Thanksgiving so they each spend one major holiday celebrating with their families. It's not perfect but I think it is better then cutting one short and going to the other one REALLY late every year.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Our holiday plans change every year. We live near my parents and DH's mom and brother, but my grandparents and my mom's brother live out of state. I really like going to see them especially since my grandmother has Alzheimer's, but with 2 kids now, I don't think that's going to be as easy anymore. My grandparents are coming up for both holidays, and we've told everyone that we're doing the holidays at our house this year. My parents will show up whenever and wherever we are so that's not an issue. It's my husband's family that is so wishy-washy that it's hard to plan how we're going to do the holidays. We always end up making plans with my family because his family has no clue what they're doing. We've told them that this year we're not house hopping for the holidays so if they want to see us, they'll show up at our place.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• bumpHere's a bump for you!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010