Does your 2 year old destroy your house daily?

My dd has a real knack of causing disasters in every room. She does this a lot when mommy is on an important call or internet. I've had to do just about all of the net stuff at night now when she's in bed. I'm not sure why she does it, boredom is the reason sometimes because like I said, its usually when I'm tied up. I'm a SAHM and I am the sole responsibility for all household chores and raising kids. By the time dh is home he is ready for dinner and bed only. If I turn my head for even a min, she's colored the walls, got in the fridge and dumped food somewhere, pulled things out of drawers...she even strung out the trash contents today!!!!! What to do when mommy has to take showers, answer calls, etc?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes! He's blocked off from some unsafe areas like the kitchen, but he tears the rest of the house up all the time. Even if I can get him to help pick up all his toys, it seems like they're all over the place again within minutes. He's constantly messing with a plant by the window, knocking stuff over, pulling all my books out of the bookcases, trying to get on my computer when I'm not looking, throwing food on the floor, etc. I always have to keep one eye on what he's doing even if I'm trying to get other stuff done. Luckily we have a pretty open floor plan on the 1st floor, so I can see him while he's playing even if I'm in the kitchen. He also gets in moods to 'clean' too, like throwing everything into one room or pretending to vacuum or dust stuff.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• All the time, he loves to open the refridgerator & drop the eggs on the floor, i normally catch him & stop him from dropping them, also he gets into the trash & throws the trash on the floor, he then gets all the dvds& loves to take out all of the socks& his brothers underwears!The part that makes me melt is when he falls asleep during the day , he looks like an angel that hasnt broken a plate.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't have a 2 year old but my son is now 6. And oh he was into it all at that age.....I still have to watch him to a point. He smears it like finger paint if something is onthe table or floor! Ewww

He has little "projects" all over the place, and I swear I should have called him Tim the Tool Time Taylor! When he wears his belt like on the weekends, he has his play tools attached, play guns, keys ( to his tool shed, 4 wheeler and his other imaginary motor cycles...etc ) and he gets so weighed down, he says he has to have all of them cause cops carryTHEIR things on the belts.......

He forgot the word, tazer the other day and called it a shocker.....I said What do cops call it again? he said, I forget it but its a shocker all right, that will stop them in their tracks if some one tries to steal MY stuff!" I said, yeah, milions are gonna want to snatch up those plastic playschool tools and sell them on EBAY kid! LOL
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 2:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I thought house destruction was a prerequisite for toddler-hood LOL
    rachblue

Answer by rachblue at 12:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• lol yeah dd loves removing dvds from the cases ugh!. She calls them "DBDBies" lol. She actually got a whole tub of yougurt out of the fridge 2 weeks ago and because she didn't have a spoon to scoop with, was creative in thinking and used her little brother's toy tool wrench instead!! Then she finger painted with the remaining yogurt. I'm still finding yogurt in places you wouldn't believe....
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• lol that sounds like my almost 6 yr old ds lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 2:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes my son is not quite 2 just yet (22 months) and has been doing things like this since he turned 1 it seems. It drives me crazy. I work a full time job at a daycare and then come home and feels like daycare work all over again with just my one son. Guess i'm the terrible house keeper b/c sometimes I just don't pick it up b/c I am so exhausted from work. He is starting to actually pick things up and put them up when asked to. So that helps a bunch!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My 4 yr old DD dumped pancake syrup all over our formal living room when she was 2. She had it on her, the dog, the carpet, furniture, it was dripping off the window sill in sheets. NOT FUN! lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2010