Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons "sperm donor" just told me that he will be going to jail probably next week for like 10 different charges should I go after child support now? Or would I be able to?

Answer Question

Asked by jellybeansmama at 2:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 5 (78 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Yes, you can. He can get a job in jail/prison and they will take support out of what he earns.

    Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • The only reason I havent yet is cause i dont want him to have any rights to my son. As of right now he dont have any rights. He said he will probably be locked up for 5 years. Will he be able to do anything will he is in there?

    Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 3:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • Paying child support (at least in NC) does not give them ANY rights to the child. Do child support through social services. If he wants visitation let him get a lawyer and fight you for it!

    They have plenty of jobs and work release for prisioners. They take child support out of his checks just like any other state.

    Answer by J.Norman at 5:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • File now. Even if you don't get anything now... you will be able to tell your child later that you tried. It established that you made an effort.... and most importantly it shows that you cared enough about your child to hold his father accountable.... it's just my opinion of course (trial and error!... I was one of those "let's be friends" exes when my husband and I split)... but I think you should start the process as soon as possible)

    Answer by prinzesstephi at 6:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • Also... in many states child support does not equal visitation rights... they are two separate issues. If your ex wants visitation that's for him to petition for. A child isn't something that can bought with child support, nor is is something that you can buy away. You can't pay for the right to not see your child. JMO.

    Answer by prinzesstephi at 6:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • well i just talked to him tonight and he dont even want anything to do with me and he will be going to jail whenever he turns himself in.

    Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • i would go for it. and well i did lol, they will give him a certain amount to pay while in prison and whatever he doesnt pay will be back child support that he'll have to pay when he gets out. and if he doesnt pay it theyll take his liscense away first, then hell go to jail for not paying

    Answer by skate_n_skirts at 10:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • So you want him to pay child support AND give up his rights so your SO can adopt him?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.