Has anyone been to court to fight a traffic ticket or moving violation?

This is going to sound extremely dumb on my part, but tonight I was driving home and a police officer pulled me over for speeding. Well we were on a highway that was a 65 mph zone and in the left lane. When he put his sirens on, I could not see if any cars were in the right lane or coming up from behind us....it was dark out and he blinded me by his lights soooo bad. I ended up pulling off the side of the road on the LEFT shoulder because I couldnt see and I just wanted to get off the road asap. I cant believe I did something soooo dumb like that! He told me we had to get on the right lane shoulder and so i drove over to it when it was clear. So he ended up giving me a $400 ticket!!!! Because I pulled off to the wrong side endangering us. I'm not trying to make excuses, but can i fight this? I am so tight on money right now this was bad timing. Could I tell the truth that i couldnt see if i could get over onto right lane?

Mom2Rylin

Asked by Mom2Rylin at 5:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband has fought two tickets over the years. You go in and explain the situation and see if they might lower the amount or forgive it. Or they may not. One of my husband's was forgiven one was not. If you feel strongly about it, do it. Tell the absolute truth!! Dress conservatively and neatly. Practice out loud beforehand what you will say so you have it rehearsed if you are prone to getting nervous. I have no idea how it will go for you but I wish you good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Nope, I usually don't fight them cuz I WAS speeding!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• NOPE! Been driving for over 26 years....(knock on wood), haven't ever gotten a ticket--even though I have a bit of a lead foot! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm not fighting the speeding one obviously lol...but the other charge was 350 dollars alone, and i honestly did it because i could not see and it was dark. I might fight it, thx ladies
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010