Just curious... when do you feel it's appropriate to teach your child to dial 911?

I see stories on the news now and then about small (I mean SMALL) children (like 3!) dialing 911 and saving their mommy or daddy if they had collapsed from a diabetes complication or epilepsy or something. I don't have any major medical issues, but I AM alone all the time with her because daddy works... I figure it wouldn't hurt. You never know what could happen. My girl will be 2 1/2 on the 21st this month. I don't want to teach her yet because she will dial it all the time just for fun!! :D But on days (like this) where I feel a little woozy I wonder what would happen to her if I just passed out or something. :( We live in a rural area and our ONE neighbor is gone all day too.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• as soon as they understand
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i think 3or4 put you have to have to have a talk about not just show them and tell them
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son started preschool this year (he's 3) and they taught him that already this year. Sent home a little laminated card that he colored with 911 on it real big so he could put it by the phone to remind him of the number in case he needs it. Ha...I pitched that card in the trash...that's all I need is my 3 year old calling 911 for fun. Now, when my 5 year old was 3 he completely understood the concept and I wasn't worried about him calling for fun.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• As soon as they are truly able to understand what it could mean, so probably about 3/4
    CharlotteMurdin

Answer by CharlotteMurdin at 8:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That's what I was thinking. 3 or 4. I don't want to scare her by explaining to her yet "If you see that mommy's really sick, & can't talk, dial 911". She already HAS called 911 several times at my mom's house (LOL!!) because my mom's phones have a BIG RED CROSS button on them that automatically dials it, and of course she's like "What's that?" and presses it. The cops know us by name now. :D
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I told my daughter whens he was 4
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We taught our children around 3... As soon as they were old enough to know all the numbers and know what an "emergency" was.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• as soon as they understand it if u ask me. my daughters 4 and she knows what its used for.
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 5:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010