Anyone have at home induction methods that worked?

I am 38 weeks pregnant with our 3rd child. I am 2cm and 50%effaced. The baby has dropped and is really low! I have been at 2cm and 50% for over a week and I keep having contractions that come and go but won't stay. The doctor says it's ok for him to come anytime. I know sex and walking are two ways to get this going, but I was wondering if anyone else had any other ways that worked.

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 8:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• walking did it for me. my mom had me take a walk and I thought she was nuts but low and behold the next morning i went into labor :) It wasn't a leisurely stroll though...it was a fast paced walk that make me sweat and feel uncomfortable.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I wish I had an answer..I tried just about everything with my daughter and NOTHING worked. Power walking, sex, up and down the stairs at our apartment complex, raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, you name it. I was even induced ON my due date and she still didn't come until a day later lol. You can do all of these things to help you along, and prepare your body but I think it's all up to baby when he/she is good and ready
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• jumping jacks thats what worked for my sister
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I really don't understand why some women want to do this. I have had three myself and the thought never crossed my mind. Yes, it's uncomfortable and sometimes painful, but that's what pregnancy is.

Just walk a lot and have sex if you can handle it. You should want your baby to stay until it's ready.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Christine0813 I know that when posting on here that people will give answers like this, but geez! I do want my baby when he is ready, but you know what I am ready too. We lost a baby almost 2 years ago due to a heart defect. I was induced with him so he could have surgery, but he didn't make it to surgery. So sorry that I am excited to see our healthy baby. I know he will get here when he gets here. If you didn't like my question why did you answer it?
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I, too, was dilated, effaced and having contractions. I had read that eating pineapples could help. I had also read that pizza hut's Meat Lover's Pizza could help and another suggestion was spicy food. So I had Pizza for lunch, with extra red pepper flakes, ate a bunch of pineapple, went for a long walk, had more pineapple. My water broke at 5:00pm that day. I'm still not sure if it was the pizza or the pineapple or just mother nature, but whatever.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Sorry for your loss. With that being said, you wouldn't want to self  induce for that reason alone. I didn't say I didn't like your question, I just don't understand it. I'm involved with March for Dimes. With what happened to your last child, is more of another reason why I am involved. Don't take it personal if you know people like me will respond. I wasn't bashing, just giving an opinion on what I can't understand.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Christine--but if the doctor says it's ok for the child to come at any time... then apparently, the baby is ok.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yep, castor oil. Worked like a charm....went in to labor in less than an hour.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i took castor oil because i was 3 weeks over due & i did no want to get induced at the hospital. Everyone was freaking me out that the placenta was going to detach itself & she would die if she did not come out soon. So, i freaked out & took the castor oil & went into labor. It really worked.

I mixed one part honey, one part lemon & one part castor oil. With the lemon & honey, you cannot taste the castor oil at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010