Does anyone find this odd??

My daughter is almost 4 years old and I have noticed when she is talking to me, asking me a question, or trying to explain something she squeezes her eyes shut for a few seconds as if she is really concentrating or thinking..or just flat out having issues getting the words out. She will do it continuously until she is finished with what she is saying. I have never seen her do it any other time than when she is talking. I find this esspecially odd because when she was around the age where she first started talking she did this weird thing with her eyes where she would roll them up almost into her head. I asked the pedi about it back then and she said it's fine, she is just experimenting with being able to move her eyes around. But now that she has started doing this I keep wondering if the two are related to eachother and maybe something could be wrong

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If it really seems like it is bothering her then talk to her dr again. It may just be one of those things though, a quirk. I bite my lip when I am thinking really hard about something..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't worry to much. Kids at that age do weird things with their facial expressions. They are learning how to express themselves. My son's new thing is crinkling his nose when he talks to us about something he's really trying to get across.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 8:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like it is just something that's unique for her.....we are all unique individuals and have little variations in how we express ourselves....sometimes I think we get to hung up on what is "normal" as compared to what is "individual" about our kids and other people....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I am a teacher and a parent. The parent in me says get a second opinion or neurology referral. The teacher says it might be a way of her trying to focus and concentrate. My sonsince was two and now he is 6 and a half; repeats a message or something he wants to know to himself to recall it. For example, if I say go tell daddy dinners ready(when he was 4) he would keep repeating, "daddy, dinner is ready" until he located daddy!
    Deema37

Answer by Deema37 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 4 yrs old and when she was 3 she would stutter alot when asking or answering questions but it was because she was so excited to get it out that she couldn't help it. Once she turned 4 she doesn't do it anymore. I think it is just a phase that they go through.
    Boo616

Answer by Boo616 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I agree with the others, just her little way of learning to express herself and communicate. Of course it wouldn't hurt to ask at her next check up.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my son is 4 and does the exact same thing....I agree with the others...I think she's just concentrating and learning to express herself...Im sure it will pass for them both.
    waleb1002

Answer by waleb1002 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Talk to her pediatrician again.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2010