How do I keep my mother n law from moving in????

My mother in law lives an hour away, she is wanting to move in with us, because she is by herself. My husband of course doesn't see anything wrong with her being here. Shes a nurse and can help us both financially. She is like finger nails on a chalk board. everyone is stupid except her. I've told my husband it would make our relationship sour, and with a new baby coming, I don't see this going well. We have a 13 month old, an 8 and 10 year old. She doesn't help with the kids when she is here. When supper is ready she sits down at the table and waits for her plate to be made. I need help........ I've came to the point its either me or the Mother in law!!! HELP!!!

djgreene

Asked by djgreene at 8:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• If someone proposed this to me, I'd say "No—no way!" and not "I'm afraid our relationship will sour." Have you really put your foot down and said "No?"
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would flat out say no.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• lol I am with the others.. I wouldn't just say NO.. but HELL NO! Luckily my husband would be the first to say it. His relationship with his mom has been rocky since childhood and has only gotten worse now that he is an adult. I'd definitely put your foot down on this one,
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You are grown ups and your own family and I think you guys need your own space and not grandma constantly around, that would go on everyone nerves. Talk to your husband about the issues you have, and since she not really helping whens hes there.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Tell him she can move in...and then you'll be moving out!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• This is avery bad idea. The answer needs to be no. Stand your ground. You might want to help her come up with some alternatives. I have an aunt who moved in with a friend when both of their husbands died......just one idea.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yeah I was going to say, tell him yeah she can move in but I'm moving out! That's just asking for trouble.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would say that she should get a small apartment very near you, so the grandkids could go over and see her frequently. And have her over for dinner once a week. Other then a mother-in-law cottage out back, no way. How would she have privacy with three kids, is there room for her to even have her own room or is her moving in going to mean the kids have to share or she shares with the baby? Is she going to be able to get a good nights sleep with 3 kids in the house. And with so many in house how is she going to get the washing machine to do her own cloths. And what about her car, were will it be parked, is there room in the driveway or is someone going to have to park on the street.
    I lived with my grandmother in the house, I loved her dearly and after she lost her memory we got along great. But while growing up she played favorites (not me), and before she became unstable standing, she made dinner and did laundry.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Offer to help her find a place in town for herself. I wouldn't want my MIL living with me either!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• tell her no and tell your husband no!! it will only cause problems for you i guarantee!
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010