Does every mother have "unconditional love" for their children?

I'm asking because as mom's to be we're told how our life will be turned upside down with the love for a child. Is this for all mom's? Sometimes I don't feel that "strong bond" of "motherhood" for my children. Am I just wired wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• i saw a scene in a movie once that i thought answered the question very well. the movie was called "riding in cars with boys" and she asked if she really loved her son because she can or becuase she feels like she has to. Her friend answers her and says that (quote) "Sometimes we love people so much that we have to be numb to it. Because if we actually felt how much we love them, it would kill us. That doesn't make you a bad person. It just means your heart's too big."

I hope this answers your question
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 4:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Does every mother have "unconditional love" for their children?  Nope, they don't. If you can say that you will give your life for your child, live the right way for them, treat them with respect and love them no matter how many mistakes they make, etc, then thats unconditional love. If you take your money and blow it on drugs, alcohol, etc and not feed your children , you don't make sure your child is safe, and well cared for, then you don't love them like they need to be loved.JMO

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I definitely love my daughter without condition, but I don't think that means you have to feel "in love" with your child 100% of every day. Being a mother is a job, definitely and I think it would be easier to just sit around being "in love" if you didn't have to wipe butts, clean up after them, deal with fits and punishments, getting talked back to, and everything that goes along with parenting.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• No, my daughter in law does not have love for her son. My son married her they had my grandson. She walked away gave custody to my son. She lives within 10 minutes of us. He lives with me. ad remarried and left baby with me. It ben 16 years. Mom has went on to have 2 more boys 11 and 13 years old. by 2 different men. She has them with her. She don't bother to contact MY--SUN at all no birthday gifts no christmas. She has to drive by our house to get her 2 boys to school never stops never calls. He is the most loving,good hearted,well behaved teenager I have ever been blessed to know......Including the three I gave birth too......All Moms don't get the Mommy pill when they give birth.......She missed that pill all together.........
    momofquinncruz

Answer by momofquinncruz at 6:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I would do anything for my child and have the most infinite love for her but know a mom who missed her firstborn's first day of school to be with a boyfriend, among other not very dedicated things. So I agree with momofguinnncruz--not all Moms get that feeling, unfortunately.
    Anonymous

• I love my daughter unconditionally. No matter how much she acts up or get into trouble, (she's 3), I love her more because she's MY baby. I fell in love with her the minute she was born, and I will love her no matter how many mistakes she makes. I will guide her through life everyday and teach her things that every mother should teach their little girls, and as Kat said, I would give my life for my child in a heartbeat. Sometimes I just sit and think of how wonderful she is, and how much joy she brings to my life and it almost makes me cry because she's everything to me, I don't know how I lived, before, without her. Sometimes I think that she's my best friend because she loves me no matter what. She's taught me so many things, like how to just have fun and sing like no one's listening. cont.....
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I also don't think there's anything wrong with you. All moms LOVE their children. You don't ALWAYS have to LIKE your kids, but you know and everyone else knows that you'll always LOVE them. Don't get down on yourself Ambree said it all with that quote.
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Define 'love'
    Love can also be I care too much to create an alternate universe for you in which there are no consequences, no discipline and in which you have no idea of how your behavior will affect your outcomes.

Early on, no I didn't have that baby gaga thing, and yeah, I'm wired weird. I had an incredible sense of being overwhelmed by how much this person depended on me, and that letting them down was not an alternative.

Over the years, love has come to mean responsibility, not just good feelings. I am so incredibly responsible for the people who depend on me that I will do what I have to do, even when it doesn't feel good, and even when it might seem like I am being 'mean' Love is putting my own emotional needs aside, and doing the right thing.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I love my 3 sons unconditionally and the love I have for all 3 is strong. If you don't feel the strong bond it is possible you could either be depressed or in a funk. It is so normal for us mothers to get in a funk. OR depressed...Hang in there...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 6:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008