how do you deal with a super clingy baby?

My son is 4 months old and has to be with mommy constantly. He is breastfed and I know that has a little to do with it but I can not hand him to anyone else (including dad) and walk away without all hell breaking loose. Does anyone have any tips?

MotherofTheCs

Asked by MotherofTheCs at 9:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a sling. It saved my life with my DD. She was a clingy little thing. lol. I got a good sling and was able to wear her while I got things done. I used a double ring sling I got on Etsy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Wear him in a sling.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• sling or a front carrier! good luck it will soon pass!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have a front carrier but it kills my back do slings distribute the weight better
    MotherofTheCs

Comment by MotherofTheCs (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• At 4 months you could or are only a few months away from being able to use a double ring sling as a hip or back carier and that will help. I liked my sling much better than my front carrier. The front carrier was cumbersome to me as far a weight distribution I think it is about the same. Having a thebaby on your hip or back is much better, but not until baby has excellent back and neck control. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son started to get very clingy, and part of me loved it, but the other part that needed to take a shower and use both hands didn't. Weather he cried to someone else or when i put in down in his swing or play chair, I would let him cry. 70% of the time he woudl cry for a few minutes then stop. 30% of the time he wouldn't stop crying, and he would get histerical and I'd end up picking him up, but since doing it, things have been a lot better. Hope it helps!

Good Luck
    Addi
    addix2

Answer by addix2 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think it's safe to say you and your DS have a very close bond. It is absolutely natural for babies, especially one who is breastfed, to want their mother constantly. My DD was the exact same way but now that she is walking and knows her surroundings, her need to be attached to me constantly has lessened a lot. She is now able to go to daddy and all grandparents.
    As stressful as it can get, this WILL pass and you will miss it greatly. If he needs the warmth and security you give him, give it. The first year flies by and before you know it he will be a cheerful toddler, running around and refusing the attention YOU want from him lol.
    Good luck mama!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010