rotting wisdom tooth

I have a wisdom tooth that has only been in for about a year, but it is rotting away, last night the last little piece broke off even with my gums. is it possible for it to rot out without too much pain? I am 13 weeks pregnant and cant be put to sleep to have it removed but its rotting FAST and I dont know why!!

momof3ttc

Asked by momof3ttc at 10:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Health

• I am 20 weeks pregnant and having the same issue. Pregnancy in general can take a toll on your teeth. Some women have it worse than others, even if you brush your teeth a million times a day! I'm definitely having it removed when my pregnancy is over, just hoping there's enough of it left by then to have it removed without it being a surgical thing.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You don't need to be put out to have a wisdom teeth pulled. I had all four taken out w/ just general anesthesia and did not feel a thing. Letting your tooth rot in your mouth is the biggest mistake you could ever make. It will most likely get infected & you will HAVE to go to see a dentist to have it removed, but you'll have to be put on antibiotics first to kill the infection, and antibiotics are not good to take while pregnant.

Brushing won't help your wisdom teeth. The only way to keep wisdom teeth healthy is to floss every single day. It's usually in between the teeth where the tooth starts rotting. Look, you're barely pregnant....i'm sure you have health insurance, just go get it pulled. They rarely put you under for pulling a wisdom tooth. ANd, if it just came in, that means you're young & the roots have not fully set in which makes the extraction 100 times easier. It will begin to hurt if you don't pull it soon.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• it cant be pulled there is no tooth sticking out to pull, it broke off not even flat across my gums, its like a huge crater in my gums....
    momof3ttc

Comment by momof3ttc (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• One of mine is doing the same thing. Doesn't bother me unless I accidentally chew something on it. GL mama, hope it doesn't bug you and you can get it taken care of soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• im a dental assistant and u need to have it pulled u can have it done with out being put to sleep we do it in the army all the time! its going to be painful and can cause other problems if u dnt and it will make ur breath stink!!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Holy cow---you need that taken out NOW. Who gets put out for dental work anymore? Silly. I had a wisdom tooth surgically removed as it was impacted and only had Novacaine.
    You need to take care of your health for your sake and your baby's sake!Infections can effect your heart ,etc.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• As a former dental assistant my 'advice' would be to go to the Dentist, have him/her examine your tooth and then go from there. Quite a few extractions can be done in office with a local anesthetic (shot), not all extractions require being 'put to sleep'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Please see a dentist ASAP!

This rotting thing is probably oozing bacteria into your blood steam...bad for your heart, and bad for your baby.

Let your dentist know your concerns regarding your pregnancy. They can explain your options and help you find the best answer for you and your precious unborn. But just letting it fester is not safe. Please take care of it ASAP. GL

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Have the tooth pulled ASAP! As ss_mom posts - the infection can spread to your heart and compromise the baby's health.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• GO to a dentist. You do not want your tooth rotting out. You could get a systemic infection. Get thee to a dentist.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010