Hypnotism should one try it?

Have you ever been interested in the idea of hypnosis then the chances are that you'll have come across self hypnosis downloads as an option to hypnotize yourself. So are these pre-recorded hypnosistracks worth buying or should you save your money and visit a local hypnotist instead? ANd is self hypnotism even possible? Has anyone ever been hypnotized?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think hypnosis is over rated. Why? B/c ANYONE at ANYTIME can speak to the subconscious (higher self). Unfortunately this is a gift that the majority of ppl throw away by occupying their mind and time with junk on tv/radio/media. All those things separates and distracts ones subconscious from proper communication with the ego. It can be done, but you dont need a book or a professional to achieve the same results. Just fasting from the above things for a while will increase ability.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have never been able to attain self hypnotism, however, I do plan on joining a group session in the spring. I have no doubt it is possible and that it works. It's purely physical, nothing spiritual or religious about it, so I don't see why there is always so much controversy around it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't do hypnotism because i believe it leaves the mind open to being taken advantage of, whether by a spirit, by certain energies or by the hypnotist himself. I want to be conscious at all times.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I've tried it and it didn't work for me. I can't let my mind go enough. Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with my ADD.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have been hypnotized twice and I hated it. Once in a large group for weight loss and once individually to face some memories. Both were very unpleasant experiences. I feel hypnosis is not understood enough and can do more harm than good. That is why we have all the problems with false recovered memories that lead to false allegations of abuse, which in turn ruin innocent lives.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 11:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

Answer by samurai_chica

Yes I was wondering about that too! I did call a lady who claims that she was a Christian, but I wondered what I was opening myself up to beyond her control.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I've been hypnotized, by a Christian therapist. It was after my oldest son died. Hypnotism can help a lot of things. Its best to have someone who knows what they are doing, but you can sort of do it yourself, if its for calming. You can listen to relaxing sounds on tape or cd, and think about a place that makes you feel safe and calm. I use that technique myself after the therapist taught me.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Are we talking hypnotism like swirling shapes, hypnotist makes you bark like a dog and you don't remember any of it, because that stuff isn't real and does not work. Now there is "relaxation hypnosis" which can work, but it's no different than finding a serene place to let your mind rest.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I used the HypnoBirthing technique with my first pregnancy. It was WONDERFUL!

Hypnosis is nothing more than an altered state of mind...kinda like being drunk...well, kinda.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• They are great, I get the best sleep when I put on a hypnosis tape, it's very calming. I'm not hypnotized but the sleep is great.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010