At what age did you let your kids go over other peoples house?

I have a daughter in 3rd grade and a son in 1st grade, My daughter went on one playdate last year and had a good time, but I knew the family. We have since moved to a new state, new school and I dont know anyone yet. They have both been invited for a playdate and I'm just not to sure yet. I know my husband would say no..he is very over protective. I would be more willing but not yet. Do you think I am to over protective? At what age did you let your kids go over other houses?

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think just taking the time to get to know other parents is best. Ask to meet them somewhere, like a play place or the park and spend some time talking and getting a feel for what kind of people they are. Or just ask them over to spend time at YOUR home to get to know the parents.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Kindergarten. Learning to socialize and get along with others outside of school settings is important!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My older ones go now, my preschooler doesn't. I waited until kindergarten. I see no need to wait past that.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My kids have been to friends homes for playdates once or twice, but they would (I'm sure) be going on more if they were in school... They are 3 & 4... From the time they have friends who were inviting them, we were letting them go. I have yet to find a reason not to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my children went when they were 12-13
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My kids started having playdates at 3 or 4. As long as you go and meet the parents, I see no reason not to.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 1:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• 3-4 years old.  My 4yo goes outside to play with her older siblings and all their friends and she ends up at other people's houses.  When she was 3 there was a family down the street with a little girl just 2 weeks younger than her and she used to go over there to play all the time.  Right now my 9yo son and 8yo daughter are down the street at a friend's house (they were there most of yesterday, too).  They've been playing over there since they met the kids this summer (we just moved here).  I just met their dad on Halloween.  He's a nice guy.  The kids live with their mom so they're only here every other weekend and I'd rather my kids go over there so he at least gets to see his kids, lol.

They aren't "playdates".  The kids just ring doorbells until they find someone that can play.  That's how we always end up with kids at our house.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would wait until I felt comfortable with the new group of neighbors.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My children were allowed to go on play dates from the time they could communicate with me. I always met the parents and I always invited their kids to our house so we could get to know them too. In my opinion, you have to trust your first instincts and your children choice in friends - if it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010