Why is this election getting so ugly?

I am not talking about the candidates, I am talking about the people that support them. I had my elderly mother in the front seat of my car today and my two boys were sitting in the back seat. I had stopped at a light (turn lane) and some guy comes by, slows down yells "hey", and when he sees he has our attention shoots us the "bird" and starts yelling obscenities so vile, I was shocked into silence. It took me a second to register what he was yelling about, it turns out he didn't like my choice of candidate. That's it. He saw my candidate's sticker and decided that that was enough for him, I deserved his wrath. In what way was that appropriate? Why? How did we come to this? I see opposing candidates signs and stickers, I don't bother people, that's what this country is supposed to be about, freedom of expression. What have we come to people?

hibicent

Asked by hibicent at 4:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sorry that happened to you. I am also unpleasantly surprised by how nasty people have become. I have to shake my head at the stories I have heard - and it's coming from both sides. Last night somebody stole the campaign sign from our front yard and we discovered today that all of our candidates signs had been stolen from our neighborhood. What ever happened to agreeing to disagree? Not everybody I know shared the same opinion as me, and I'm just fine with that. I don't understand why some resort to bad behavior.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 4:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• i've just decided that some of the people that are doing things like you've mentioned are nuts to begin with and looking for an excuse to be unkind.
    i've had people flip me off twice while driving because of the campaign stickers on my car. it's completely uncalled for.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• That is the exact reason I dont put stickers on my car
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 4:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I think its come to a "grass roots" mentality of woman vs. african american and "what has this world come to?" People are scared, so they lash out. In California we have the added pressure of Prop 8 banning the rights of gay people as a couple. So I'm thinking that while its face to face confrontation, there's still some anonymity to it all while you're in a car, and they are or aren't, its a one time confrontation because everyone hopefully drives away. What this world will come to is a much better place with a certain someone in place (obama) and Prop 8 defeated. Its close all around! And very exciting!
    momofours

Answer by momofours at 5:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• perksmom, tell me about it.
    it was bad enough getting comments about my pro-breastfeeding sticker.
    at least no one gave me the finger over that one. at least not yet, ha!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I've argued and chastised my friends that are voting for McCain, I think they're way out of line, especially since they're 'middle class', make less than 250k a year. Up here in MN its because these meat heads think they're going to have their guns taken away from them and the women are overly concerned about other women's body's, i.e. abortion.

grandmablondie

Answer by grandmablondie at 6:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Getting ugly?  It's been ugly from day one!

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 6:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yes, it's gotten very out of hand. That's the product of running a campiagn based on fear, though..
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 6:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• grandmablondie, you're what the OP is talking about! You can have a good debate and argue over your candidates, but to chastise someone for their opinion is obsurd! The beauty of this country is that we CAN vote for who WE want...we're allowed to have differing opinions!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• grandma, are you insinuating that every person in Minnesota is a "meat-head"? I guess I'll have to call my Obama-supporting father and tell him that he's a moron by your standards, then.

msmoody, yet another low-blow that was unnecessary and uncalled for. "That's the product of running a campaign based on fear, though"?

This election is getting ugly because people just can't stand the fact that others don't care for their candidate of choice, no matter what they post about them. And it certainly isn't helped by the fact that people here cannot seem to offer a civilized or decent response. That goes for BOTH Republicans and Democrats.
    Anonymous