I asked a question about Disability and Public Aid-

Having no experience with either one, if you had read the question. I want to know if there are more and more people trying to get on it now than in the past. Is it more common now? I AM NOT BASHING.. JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND. This was not common at all when I was young. I have absolutely ZERO experience with it, in fact never heard of Disability before I came to Cafemom. So, all I want to know is if it is more common than now than in the past, in your opinion. Not stories on why people are on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it iS more common now. There are so many more teen or young single Moms who have not had an education . They have no job skills and no career in order to make enough money to support themselves and their child so they need welfare. And many couples who marry young, before college, and work at minimum wage jobs. The saddest stories involve people who have lost their jobs due to the economy---downsizing by companies---and need temporary help to make it until they find a new job.

I recall two other recessions in the past ( i was born in the 1940's so I have seen many big changes) I don't recall knowing anyone on welfare or any kind of assistance until now,though. Social norms have changed a whole lot. I mentioned the increasing number of teen Moms and couples with no education who can't make it on their salaries. We rarely knew unmarried Moms and friends had a college education.....things have definitely changed .
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i think in the past families tok care of their disabled family members out of their own pocket,but now that extended families all living together is rare,these folks need the help to be on their own

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• More things are recognized as disabilities these days. You can collect if for ADD and ADHD and numerous other things that are not completely disabling.

I am all for helping and supporting the disabled..I have a special needs child. I do think though that there are a lot of people collecting it that really could be working some type of job.

We do not collect payments for our child and don't expect for him to ever need them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think it is. Part of the stimulus that Obama passed actually increased the limits of allowable income and allowable benefits. So between that and the unfortunate unemployment rate, which has remained steady this past quarter, but that had been improving in the quarter before, it is easier than ever for people to obtain public aid. As far as disability, I know plenty of people that are on disability that don't really need it. I think in that circumstance, if you appeal the process enough times, they sort of just give in to you. I know that sounds harsh, but from what I have seen, that is my honest opinion. Taken from people I know well that are very candid about their situation.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I believe much of it can be attributed to the Americans with Disability Act that became effective in 1990, and because of this act states and agencies HAD to provide a financial supplement or stipend for those diagnosed with a certain disability and could not provide adequately for themselves--yet did not need to be institutionalized or live in a group home.

Also, medical diagnostic advances have improved greatly, and services and therapies have improved as well. I can only speak from my personal situation. I am actually excited for my autistic children's futures as I know they are not alone and they WILL have opportunities to succeed in this world, whereas as little as 30-40+ years ago, they would have been shunned from society. Hopefully they will never need to collect disability stipends (they will be inheriting large trust funds one day), but knowing, if needed, programs already exist for them is a huge relief.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do not collect disabiltiy for my son.

I DO know--for a fact--of one mom who has coached her son to act disabled and now recieves disability for him. She also begged me to stop writing how well he was doing in my weekly behavior reports when I was his therapist as she was afraid they would drop disabillity. There have also been several cases in the news where a mom coached her children to act disabled so they could collect.

and that is really sad, because there are truly a lot of people that could use the money and the people who fake it just take away from those who are in need.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

***

I totally agree, and I fear for when the DMS-V comes out in May 2013 and includes diagnosis' of ADHD and Asperger's as being part of the autism spectrum what that will do to the budgets and programs available under each state's and mental health services divisions!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• There is a difference between SSI (supplemental security income) and SSDI (social security disability insurance). SSI is a form of assisance provided for people who have never worked/never could work. SSDI is for those who have worked, can not work any longer, is based on the average amount they made, and requires jumping (or attempting to jump) through the hoops of doctors paid by the disability board to turn as many people as possible away.

SSDI funds come from the FICA taxes deducted from your paycheck. In order to qualify you not only need a doctor stating that you are disabled, you have to have worked a certain amount of time and you get a percentage based only on what you actually earned. SSDI pmts. range from less than $100 to $1000s.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't know the stats but I'm pretty darn sure there are more people trying to get on PA of any kind. Disability is the hardest form of assistance to get on, so I don't think it's that but it is harder to pay your bills and feed your family when you are out of work for any reason.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We have a friend who has faked a mental illness in order to obtain DA. He was mentored through the process. He used the same MDs, Psyches, lawyers etc.. He was told exactly what to say do, wear and behave. No shaving or hAircut, no driving for X amt of time etc... It is a system that has abuse, for sure. This man has many true medical problems (most self induced DT poor choices) which lend some credence to his story.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2010