Bad Doggie Breath.......

I have a 4yr old papillon and a 3 yr old pomeranian, what can I get them for bad breath? I didn't wanna ask the pet store they always try and push so many products and never get a straight answer! What are somethings u guys have bought or done!

Korysmom96

Asked by Korysmom96 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pets

• I have a 7 month old Yorkie that has horrible breath as well. From what I understand its one of a couple things if major medical issues are ruled out (stomach issues can cause bad breath etc). Cutting there adult teeth causes fishy yucky butt breath your dogs are little old for that or......licking there anal area which is generally due to needing anal glands popped. Ugh and eating feces there own or another animals in the house including cat doo in the liter box :) I got my dog "Hartz brand Dentist Best Chewy Dog Bones". They are in a blue/clear package and the bones are white. It cost $2.99 and has made a HUGE difference.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• they need either their anal glands cleaned or their teeth cleaned. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ok but they were just at the vet and all that was taken care of and they were just groomed so I don't think thats was the issue but thanks!
    Korysmom96

Comment by Korysmom96 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I just got our dog the new biscuits out by pedigree called breath buster. So far harley the dog seems to like them and his breath smells alot cleaner.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I just took two of my dogs to the vet and I asked her about bad doggie breath for one of our dogs. She examined her mouth and said she needs a dental cleaning. I also asked about products on the market and she said they work as a very short temp solution but the bad breath will keep coming back until the teeth are cleaned. And I trust our vet, she doesn't just say things to make you spend money.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Btw, you can also buy a toothcleaning kit for dogs at any pet shop if you want to try clean the teeth on your own LOL. I wouldn't try it with mine :)
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I know you said you dont want to do the pet store thing but PetSmart sells some pretty awesome breath spray I use on my Mini Dachshund cause hes got some rank breath its in a red bottle and you spray it in their mouth.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• doggie bones made for bad breath
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• So what are some of the specific names of these products??
    Korysmom96

Comment by Korysmom96 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't trust most of the "dental treats/bones" because they are full of unhealthy ingredients. Just be sure to read the label and avoid things that have corn, wheat, soy, and byproducts. In my opinion, crunchy treats do NOT clean teeth. It's just like saying that cereal/crackers/chips clean a human's teeth...it doesn't! Raw meaty bones are good for cleaning teeth. You can also brush your dogs' teeth a couple times/week. Most likely, though, your dogs' need a good cleaning by the vet first. Yes, like a PP said, there are also breath sprays or gels. I've heard great things about Petzlife, but I've never actually used it myself.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010