FoodStamps & Stigma

I have to get food stamps right now, because we have lost a good bit of income. I have found I get dirty looks from cashiers, and at times people who are in line behind me. I do buy a couple of unnecessary items like cookies or cokes, but nothing big. I wonder if I'm getting the snob look because of the food stamps, or because of what I buy with them? I try and use wisely , because I'm on such a budget , so does a 6 pack of cokes and generic cookies make me a bad person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We're on foodstamps and I get the same looks sometimes. I actually had a woman ask me in line one time how much I get and if I really think I NEED everything in my cart. Thankfully hubby was with me and he "put her in her place". Just beacuse some one is on food stamps does NOT mean they can't enjoy things like other people. I buy soda, candy, cakes, cookies, stuff to bake things at home.

Some say that it is to supplement, let me tell you it depends on how much you get and how you buy. We can stretch out what we get to buy ALL of our grocery's for a full month and we are a family of five. Sometimes we have ot use our own money towards the end of the month but not very often. This is with buying the "unneeded" things.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 1:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Why? From my experience most people don't know the difference from a credit card or a food stamp card. The people that are giving you the dirty looks will give dirty looks to anyone they have to wait in line behind. Just ignore them, no one can make you feel inferior except for yourself. Chin up!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No not at all...Just ignore the rude people and get what your family needs....my husband has to have coke because he has to have the caffeen...And if you think about it everyone gets things they done NEED...coffee, soda, chips and so many other things...juice kool-aid...think about it...people can just drink water. thats how it used to be....Now I would think it was bad if you were getting smokes and alchol with it but just a 6 pack of coke no not bad at all.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• hugsNot by any means hun!! Ppl are just rude and assume things they no nothing about!! We have lost over half hubbys income and are struggling so at least you are able to feed ur family! try not to let it bug you!!!

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Some people are just so judgemental they look down on anyone who uses food stamps, even if their cart is full of fresh fruits & veggies. If the dirty looks bother you, try going to a different store, or at a different time of day, or different day of the week. I know I always shopped at a different store when I used mine. And frankly, I'd give my left leg to qualify for them right now - we could sure use the help, but the dang IRA keeps us from qualifying even though we hardly have any income. Hold your head high mama, you're doing what you need to do to feed your family during hard times - at least you're not starving them or selling your foodstamps for drugs. ~hugs~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Aw, no! I live in Memphis, and if you'd see what some people buy with FS here!!! Koolade, cokes, candy, no healthy stuff. We are also on FS, sometimes I want to go to the self check out just to avoid the looks. Its as if you're not good enough just because you're a little hard on money. We just cant afford really for me to work, or me to not work right now. We're down both ways! Dont feel bad!
    ZaisMum

Answer by ZaisMum at 11:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I was a cashier and I didn't look down on those who used WIC or food stamps.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Perhaps you just feel bad? I don't think I would ever judge anyone.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We've been on food stamps before and my advice is to get over the stares. This also my be your insecurities. As long as you're feeding your family who cares what other people think. There's a recession going on.
    berrymorin3

Answer by berrymorin3 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I personally do not think those items should be purchased on food stamps. Food stamps are NOT a privedge or a right. They are there for those who are struggling and would starve otherwise.

Food stamps are meant to supplement your grocery budget not be the entire thing. Use your own money (not tax payer money) to buy junk food.

I don't look down on people who truly NEED food stamps but I don't agree with people abusing the system by purchasing things that are not necessary.
    Anonymous