My 15 mth old gets so fussy during diaper changes...

he thinks that every time he gets his diaper changed, he'll have to take a nap afterwards because we usually change him before his naps and before bed. Even though we still change his diapers other times, he associates sleep with it and becomes super fussy during diaper changes that he makes himself miserable.

Any suggestions to help him stay calm during diaper changes?

mypreciousbabe

Asked by mypreciousbabe at 11:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A lot of babies get really fussy about diaper changes around this age and I'm not so sure that he associates it with sleep so much as he just doesn't like it. I have no kids but I've been changing diapers since I was 10 (siblings and later baby sitting) and every kid once they hit close to a year and after have always been fussy for me. What I do is I'll give them something to distract them with, even if it's the tube of baby cream. (that also keeps them from reaching down and getting poo on their hand because this is the time they typically start grabbing for things like the dirty diaper and such) I'm currently a nanny for a 14 month old girl and she throws FITS every time i change her but as soon as I am done it's like nothing happened.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• LOL...I know!!! I'm hoping it's a phase, but even though we give him things to distract him, when he's really upset about it, he throws the things, making it hard to get him settled down to change him.

We'll keep trying...thanks!
    mypreciousbabe

Comment by mypreciousbabe (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You're welcome! And it is mostly a phase. It depends on the kid (I had a couple continue to throw fits up until they were potty trained and others just get over it) so, good luck! I guess the best thing to do is power through the diaper change and get it over with as fast as possible lol.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• lol...yeah...
    mypreciousbabe

Comment by mypreciousbabe (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my son was fussy bout diaper changing but we strated this lil song n game duing diaper changing time, so now he giggles so much by the time e realize what just happened its over n done
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Try changing wet diapers standing up and only do the before sleep ones laying down. Put the diaper together and just slide it on like a pullup. Adjust it once it's on. Harder to do with a really messy, poopy diaper but it can't hurt. You can also try getting a couple of "only when we're changing your diaper toys". My son also developed an aversion to heights. Changing him on the floor helped a lot.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010