Is my daughter too heavy?

My DD is almost 12yo...she's 4'11" and she weighs 125. Is she too heavy? Her doctor doesn't seem concerned, but DD is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_kids_centils.htm

At 11 years and 10 months:

your child is 125 pounds, and that is
    at the 92nd percentile for weight.

your child is 59 inches, and that is
    at the 47th percentile for height.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_bmi_calc.htm
    A 11 year and 10 months old (female) child
    who is 125 pounds
    and is 4 feet and 11 inches tall has
    a body mass index of 25.3,
    which is at the 95th percentile,

and would indicate that your child is at risk of becoming overweight.

Keep her in a healthy diet and active.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• MY DD IS 49 IN & IS 71 LBS.

HER BFF IS 53 IN & 140 LBS

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• She is slightly overweight. If she is concerned about it, help her to lose a little weight in a healthy way. Like eating healthier foods and getting a little more exercise by walking or bike riding. Don't let her try these stupid fad diets! Make small changes and set good examples.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My dd is 4 foot and weighs 71 lbs.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• She's going through puberty! She'll grow into her weight just like I did I haven't gained a pound since I was 14 in fact after 9th grade I started to lose my fat without diet and exercise. her body needs the extra energy right now thats probebly why the doc isn't worried. She's not fat tell her she'll be okay and just remind her that she is beautiful often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Yes I agree with anonymous,my dd is 5''2 and 110 lbs.and shes 12 her cousin who is also 12 is 4''11 and 127.My daughter ''now'' does 25 sit ups a day and 5 push-ups she does gymnastics to.

Good Luck! And My Blessings
    jenhen12

Answer by jenhen12 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My daughter is 10 and I have noticed that she is started to put on alittle weight. I to believe that it is a puberty thing and that things will even out. Just make sure that she stays confident in herself and knows that she is beautiful.
    vnesmom33

Answer by vnesmom33 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I would say yes my DD is 12 and is about 70 somethin pounds. Is she active if not get her to be and eat healthy if shes not and let her know she is beautiful no matter what that u just want her healthy.
    Mother-of-4

Answer by Mother-of-4 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I would consult you're physican on that one they will be able to let you know. If they we're concerned about it they would have told you.
    snickers1201

Answer by snickers1201 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• She will be fine, my daughter is 5'2" and 112 and she grew out before she grew up she is almost past me at 5'4" and she wears size 8 shoes!!!!!!
    southerndesign

Answer by southerndesign at 7:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008